Conversation about swimbaits. Not your Zoom Flukes or KVD Caffeine Shads or any of the other "small" swimbaits. No, a conversation about Big Swimbaits - Huddlestons, MS Slammers, Savage Gear Line Thru Trout, and all of the other large swimbaits.... What do you use? Where do you use them? How do you fish them? Success stories?? One stop shopping for information and stories about fishing with these gigantic pieces of rubber, plastic and wood.....

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:10 am

Been a productive winter putting together a few swimbaits to try out once the ice goes away. Looking forward to getting on the water soon. (I hope)

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:48 pm

I got a bunch this year myself. Can't wait to try them out. I got a 12 inch eel from daddy Mac lures. I'm going big as well. I've always done well with zoom swim baits.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Zoom baits are great baits... I caught a bunch last year with them too... but this year, I am going to try to focus on using big swimbaits. At least for some of the time.

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 am

Nice collection of swimbaits in that picture! How big is the biggest one, and/or the smallest?

And what color are those line-through trout?

I too will be going big this year. Still need a few more swimbaits though.

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 am

The Savage Gear Line Thru Trout on the top right is 8" and the two below it are 6". Color is called "Dirty Silver".

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm just about done making a few big swimbait. the first is a glide and will be about 11 and a half inches when done. the other is an 11 inch slammer sort of bait. I wouldn't consider the slammer one huge since most of those style baits are around that size.

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:38 am

im going big this year as well! super pumped!!!

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:47 am

not saying i don't own or occasionally throw em but big swim baits will be played out in ma in year or too

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Really..... didn't know that large fish were going to give up eating large baitfish in a couple of years.... are they evolving and becoming less of a feeding machine. I don't think big swimbaits will go away, I get that it's probably a phase right now, but I know one thing - if I catch some big fish on them this year, I won't be phasing the technique out any time soon. Big swimbaits are just like any other bait, you have to present the bait in the right way, in the right place at the right time. They aren't some new miracle bait that will turn people into more successful fisherman.

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 am

ill do what ever it takes!!!

swimbaits, frogs, jigs, punching. what ever it takes to get them big bass!

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 am

fdw9652 - who makes the Blue Gill Swim Bait in the picture you posted? I would like to scoop one. I like to fish big swim baits but mostly fish ponds where the bass will be feedin on Blue Gills & Perch but mostley see Trout paterns for swim baits.... If they are a Blue Gill/Perch pattern I feel like they are still in the shape of the traditional Trout shape.... I am looking for the profile and look of the Blue Gill!

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:14 am

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

Stumbled across this bad boy today while checking out Tackle Warehouse. What do you think?? Make sure you check out the video on the Tackle Warehouse page.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Smith_Baits_Series_X_Topwater_Sunfish/descpage-

BSSZ.html

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Nice, but for $40 I'd rather get an MS Slammer.

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links