I have been out everyday this week to four different ponds. Not much to show for it. A couple of small bass and actually skunked at one pond that is usually good late season. Maybe the water temp hasn't hit the sweet spot yet! Are you finding the same thing?

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:08 am

I was wondering about this myself. I hit 2 ponds this week and got a few but have found surprisingly tough fishing. Im interested to see how other people have been doing.

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 am

Smallmouth Bass, and anything in the Trout or Pike families are great this time of year for me. I don't have a lot of luck with big Largemouth once the water temps start dropping below 60.

Try fish pattern square-billed crankbaits along drop offs or remaining weed edges.

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:04 pm

i did good during the storm. 5 bass in an hour biggest 3.5 lbser. i fished an area and found them schooled up good 5 fish from the same spot. didnt fish the entire pond. i could of and probably would of got more! i love fishing the jigs this time of year. havent been out much since.

i did hook into a large fish last week, but missed it. peeled line into a tree and was also making a huge wake. didnt fish long.

I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 am

I'm doing well lately but haven't fish past this week yet. Few 3-4lbs. I'm strictly stick to glider lure. Senko will work well. But senko is just number on bass. While glider lure give me bigger bass. Two weeks ago, I pulled four smallmouth over 5lbs. Big one top at 5.7lbs. Along with two 5lbs Larry and big one is 5.5lbs.

- 5.5 Larry was caught on popper.
- 5.7 smallie was caught on glider
- 5.1 Larry was caught on frogging
- rest of three 5lbs smallie soldiers was caught on tube
- Rest of dinks bass are caught on everything.

In other hand, other species are hitting well too. Handful of bull sunfish but nothing beat my pb at 1.4lb. Perch are freakish huge right now. Averaged at 12-14inch. Cats are biting well but nothing that is worthy mention. Walleye are biting well too.

Will be stopped fishing for anything except focus on trouts now. With exceptions of few bass fishing outings for giants!

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Just ain't happening! I don't know if it is the weather or what but it is pretty slow for this time of the year! Rolling Eyes

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:31 pm

I was lucky enough to fish Monday - Thursday of last week. Went to Ponkapog Pond (where I've done well lately), Whitman's pond, Jacob's Pond, and Long Pond with only a few pickerel to show for.

I've never done well at Whitman's or Jacob's, and it was my first time at Long Pond, so I didn't really have any expectations there (didn't bring any trout gear).

Surface temps were just above 60 degrees at all locations.

Might give it another go this week, time permitting, but it's been tough this October.

Add: I'm close to Boston and don't get to Plymouth area much. Can anyone down that way lead me to some good smallie waters? I've never caught smallies in MA.

Thanks, in advance.

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I went out Friday, windy and cool for 2 1/2 hours. A few hits, caught one 2 1/2 lb bass. Slow bite, felt like I bumped something, tug line, reeling it in then its started to fight. I think its been a slow and strange season, never felt the big spring rush of hungry fish. Though I did well this year but not the #'s of years past. I'm thinking the winter had a lot to do with this years fishing?

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:41 pm

And I think you may be right!

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:29 pm

i caught a few bass and crappies on ultra lights this past weekend. so much fun

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:06 am

Me and my friend went out on Thursday from about 9 til it got dark around 630ish. We went to 3 pond throughout the day all in Plymouth.

Pond 1 is small, crystal clear, holds largies and smallies and is one of my favorite spots. It can be hit or miss and that day it was a miss. Not even a nibble for either of us.

The second pond we went to is pretty clear, slightly larger and as far as I know only holds largemouth. A couple bites but we didn't land anything. On the way out the water gets very shallow with very little structure so I didn't expect any fish to be there. All of a sudden I roll up on a school of hundreds of bass, mostly small fish but with a few very good sized fish in the mix. Obviously they scatter away but I've never seen anything like that before, so many bass.

The third pond is crystal clear, very large and holds largies and smallies. My friend immediately gets a small largemouth at the mouth of a creek, we move on and he gets a 2 plus lber in a deep cove both on a senko style worm. In that same creek I nail a 3.5 and 3.2 on back to back casts with a the jig off a deep submerged tree. We move to the other side and I got another largemouth about 2 pounds and a small smallmouth off the same drop. Then it got dark and we made our way back. Slow day but worth it.

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 am

I took the kayak out yesterday morning at about 5:00. I caught 2 bass in the first few casts -one on a worm and one on a spinnerbait. After the first 2 I had a bit of a lull. Not having much luck around the edges I headed out to the middle of the pond where there were still some pads. Casted a wacky-rigged worm to the right of the pads and as soon as it hit the water I saw a bass cruise in from the far left and pick the worm up and just sit. It didn't swim off like they usually do. As soon as I set the hook I could tell it was a good one. After a good fight I got it to the side of the kayak and lipped it. Put it on the scale and it was a 5.5 lb'r. My biggest bass of the season.
I caught 11 bass total - a 3, a 2 and the rest were under 2. They were caught on a mix of wacky-rigged worm, spinnerbait, jig, and trolling a Scatter Rap.

Went out again today and caught 8 bass, all on the smaller side. The wind was tough. I only fished for about 2 hours.

I have also been having good luck shore fishing for trout -about 18 in the last couple of weeks.

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:17 pm

It still sucks and the clock is ticking! Looks like the weather will hold out for awhile. Cool

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:02 pm

My cuz and I went out this past weekend and killed it! Jigs and jerkbaits moved slowly was the ticket for us, with two over 5 lbs (5.8 & 5.10 diiferent shapes/size, so not the same fish at all), countless 2-2.5's and a bunch of 1.5's for close to (no exaggerating) almost 50 bass. The action was non-stop, with a few crappie caught on the jerkbaits as well! My arms were tired when I went home.

Had another friend report he annihilated the bass on topwater baits too at another pond the same weekend. Hopefully the action continues this weekend! Good luck!

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links