anyone know of good spot of the merrimack river for fly fishing. like shallow, rapid, and flow. going for trout and salmon. thanks

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 am

Trout in the Merrimack (in Massachusetts)? Maybe where The Shawsheen River empties in Lawrence? As far as Salmon, can't say you won't catch one, but the stocking program ended a couple years ago, they just wouldn't take. Who would have thought 200 years of industry damming and pollution would do that? I did see an angler take in a salmon behind the dance studio in Andover (by the R&R tracks), like I said, not impossible, just not likely.

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:23 am

There are trout in the Merrimack but they're hard to find. You're best bet is to go on the "trout stocked waters" list on the DFW Site, and look for ones that empty into the Merrimack. Then fish where they meet the Merrimack.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_trout-fishing_ng_040502/

This has some good info on the Merrimack, as well as other rivers that are worth a shot.

Good Luck! And tell if you do catch anything. I've never really had success at the Merrimack.

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:32 am

thanks

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:10 pm

thanks

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:14 pm

fishingwithkids

Trout in the Merrimack (in Massachusetts)? Maybe where The Shawsheen River empties in Lawrence? As far as Salmon, can't say you won't catch one, but the stocking program ended a couple years ago, they just wouldn't take. Who would have thought 200 years of industry damming and pollution would do that? I did see an angler take in a salmon behind the dance studio in Andover (by the R&R tracks), like I said, not impossible, just not likely.

There are some BIG carp in there though Smile

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:20 pm

weehooker

There are some BIG carp in there though Smile

Oh yeah! And if your into fly fishing, try targeting carp on the fly!

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 pm

seems like a true fight. i gotta try that on a 4 wt. light weight is amazing Laughing

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Not to side track the thread but I can remember bait fishing for carp in the Merri up near Nashua back many years ago. Left my UL spinning rod wedged in my beach chair while I got up to go to the cooler. Heard a racket and turned around just in time to see the rod and chair heading down the bank and into the river. I went in after it and just a hand on it as the chair went past waist deep.
Many minutes later, I stood there soaking wet but giggling like a schoolgirl after landing a NICE 16# carp.
I'd like to try that on a flyrod myself these days!

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Nice! Now imagine that fish on an even more flexible, lighter rod! Last year I got a 14 pounder on the fly rod with 6x tippet. Thats a breaking strength of 2 or 3 pounds! It's a blast!

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:24 pm

most been a nice long fight with some good runs what are some good techniques for them

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links