Hello Everyone,

As you probably could tell I am not from MA, however I love to fish. I am from Galveston, Texas and I am currently getting my degree at WPI in Worcester. I am writing to this form because I want to know some of the best Smallmouth lakes around here, and I would like to know some tips. I have been dying to catch Samllies some since we do not have them in Texas.

I have my truck and kayak up here and I love to fish out of it. I have an Assend FS12T kayak that is rigged for saltwater, but does just as well for fresh. So if you give me some lakes around Worcester I would like some that are easy to launch a kayak in.

I have fished Lake Singletary many times, but no luck. Sad I am thinking on going to Quinsig or Whitehill this weekend. So please any tips or tricks will help.

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Best place for a trophy smallie near worcester is wachusett res. Leave the kayk behind though shore fishing only. Weighted senkos,drop shot,jerk baits.live perch.also webster lake has decebt smallies and u can launch a kayak. Smallies like deep water near shallow. They like it a little cooler. They should be getting active again real soon. Spring and fall best bets for smallies but they can be caught year round. Wait til u land a nice one. Pound for pound one of the best fighters in freshwater. And the almost always put on an aeriel display!

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks badlarry! I was reading about Wachusett res. I heard that there were some nice smallies there. Do i have to get a special license or anything?

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 pm

No just go on mass gov website n look up regulations. They r real strict there because it is drinking water for many towns. When it gets cooler maybe u should join one of our outings. I can get u hooked up haha pun intended,with some guys who fish it often n know some good spots.I went a few days ago. Lots of baitfish on top but bite was slow. Had 1 smallie smash my spook but missed it.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:46 pm

That sounds awesome. Yes count me in.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 pm

ive did one of their outings and im HOOKED FOR LIFE!!!!!

wachusett is great spot! she can a b**** to crack tho but she can and will reward you for your efforts! rewards are BIG!!!!!

plymouth and the cape have some amazing smallie fishing! some of the best in the state!!!!!

drop shots wacky worm and tubes are my lures to catch them!

im still learning about smallie fishing!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am

Singletary does have smallies but its rare you got them over 2 lbs there. Wachusett is great. I've had some epic top water days there. Good Smallie fishing isn't really close to the Worcester area. Feel free to PM me and I can give you some LM spots in the area and good places to travel for Smallies. Can tell you what Gates to target the the "CHU" as well.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Yup just like bassturds I'm learning on the go about smallies.They are not that plentiful around here. I catch em at sud res 5 min from my house but mostly small ones. Still a blast to catch though!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:19 pm

what about webster? good smallie numbers place with some nice ones in the mix.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Now I wanna go to Webster.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Smallmouth can be found on Lake Monomonac, Lake Singletary, Webster Lake, Quinsigamond Lake, Whalom Pond, East Washacaum Pond, Manchaug Pond, and all over the CT. River. All these locations are within 15-90 minutes from Worcester and all are accessible by Kayak. These lakes have abundant largemouth but if you focus on rocky shore lines and points and target deeper water with tubes, drop shots and small worms you will find the smallies. May is the prime month around here for smallies than they turn on again when the water temps get below 50.

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:31 pm

If you want to target lakes that have more quality and quantity for smallies than a 2 hour ride south on 495 or a 90 minute ride west on Rt 2 or a 2 hour ride north on 93 will put you on prime smallmouth fisheries!!! The Quabbin reservoir is a PRIME smallmouth fishery with an abbreviated fishing season. You can rent small powered boats on the Quabbin Res. Tight Lines

Posted Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Live Crawfish at the Quabbin (the shoe) wink wink and Live Yellow Perch at the Chu, which should be starting to heat up soon, need a good cold spell. Metal did very good late last fall and I would expect nothing less this year, if it's anything like the spring, hold on to your rods.

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links