Got some amazon gift cards coming in recently and I'm looking to basically invest most of it into fishing gear, rods, reels, and tackle.

Whats the best baitcaster on the market right now? I've seen plenty of lists, but they're either outdated or garbage. As of right now I have the Revo MGXtreme, Revo Premiere 3, Ora inshore, Quantum PT, and a few others kicking around.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:49 pm

I have read great thing about the bass pro shops pro qualifier and having used an olde one can say they are decent. I have a shimano citica and would not recommend it, or the curator because it is the same but with different bearings. The citica is fine it works well, it is just nothing special and just doesn't seem to be worth the high price tag. I have cashed with a Diawa zillion which is on sale at tackle warehouse for 170 dollars, and it is phenomenal. Can't go wrong with that reel the thing is a dream. I have also castes with the quantum inshore model, which I assume is similar to some of there 150 dollar reels, and it feels really good and casts far, I would still go Diawa. The new small Diawa Tatula for 130 dollars looks really nice and will probably be my next reel. I can only speak for Lews in that I have a 70 dollar lews reel that is excellent, so I am confident there higher end aluminum frame models like the tournament mb, which everyone seems to have and love, are very nice.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:12 pm

lmb

I have read great thing about the bass pro shops pro qualifier and having used an olde one can say they are decent. I have a shimano citica and would not recommend it, or the curator because it is the same but with different bearings. The citica is fine it works well, it is just nothing special and just doesn't seem to be worth the high price tag. I have cashed with a Diawa zillion which is on sale at tackle warehouse for 170 dollars, and it is phenomenal. Can't go wrong with that reel the thing is a dream. I have also castes with the quantum inshore model, which I assume is similar to some of there 150 dollar reels, and it feels really good and casts far, I would still go Diawa. The new small Diawa Tatula for 130 dollars looks really nice and will probably be my next reel. I can only speak for Lews in that I have a 70 dollar lews reel that is excellent, so I am confident there higher end aluminum frame models like the tournament mb, which everyone seems to have and love, are very nice.

damn you've tried a ton of different brands. I gotta look into it. I'm wondering if the really high end ones are worth it. Right now the highest priced one I can find is the shimano antares. I got the MGxtreme which is another 500 dollar reel on clearance for a good price and while I love it, I don't see why it's so damn expensive. I would love a nice versatile durable reel.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Right now my favorite reel is the Lews Magnesium. Lightweight yet feels solid. I have 2 of them and use them both on jig rods. Solid reel. I also have 2 Team Lews lite speed spool lfs series. Awesome reels.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 am

stratos1966

I hope you have a lot of gift cards

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Antares_Casting_Reels/descpage-SACR.html

I do actually and then some. Very curious if this reel is worth the price tag. As mentioned in the OP, I have the 500$ MgXtreme and I don't quite understand the price tag. Wondering if Antares is any different.

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links