Here's a little set up me and my cousin came up with for getting down deep in the late summer month while fishing for trout. The set up we came up with was to attach a dipsy diver to lead core line to see if it would bring the lead core line down even deeper. It does! with roughly 3-4 colors out i can get to approximately 50'-60'. I feel like something is wrong though because this summer while fishing in Maine for 2 weeks and putting in at least 20+ hours of fishing i only had 3 dinky salmon to show for myself. I would love to get some feed back because i feel like i should be producing more fish, but i'm not... Feed back would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 pm

I personally like the idea- using the dipsy diver makes a lot of sense. How much depth does the dipsy diver add? Also, what sort of rod/reel is that?

Again, I like the rig. I'm looking t start trolling for trout and salmon next year, since I usually cast from my kayak. Shoot me a message if you wanna head out some time next summer, when it's warmer. Its a lot more enjoyable when its not 40 degrees out.

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:30 pm

The reels are: Shakespeare Tide water, and a Penn 309M Level Wind, with HT-100 Drag, 2.8-1 gear ratio, i still have the box for the Penn that's why i know all the info. And to answer your question of how much more depth the diver adds, i'm not 100% sure, but i know without it my line is in the water at probably a 10 degree angle. I know that's a weird way to put it... with the diver i would say it is in the water at a 30-40 degree angle, sometimes even 50-60 depending how slow i troll... there's defiantly some mathematical formula involving calculus to determine how deep i actually am, but screw that i was never too good at math... I know with 10 colors out which is all the lead core line on the spool i could only get down no more than 50'-60', and like i said with 3-4 colors out with the diver i'm down roughly 60', I know this because i know the depths of each area i fish in the lake in Maine, and have actually gotten stuck in 50' of water with 2 1/2 colors out... I was shocked that i was down that deep, each color of lead core line is 10 yards, and there's 10 colors so there's a total of 100 yards of line. And i will defiantly take you up on that offer, i really want to hit up the quabbin sometime next year, iv'e never been, but iv'e seen some big laker's come out of there, biggest iv'e seen was 21 pounds! The salmon in the quabbin are quite ridiculous in size as well, giving Maine, and New Hampshire lakes a run for their money, biggest salmon iv'e seen out of there was 6.5 pounds....

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:51 pm

This is not me in the video, nor do i know the guy in the video, but this is what i mean when i say the salmon are of ridiculous size...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQZiElIRhE
The guys channel is called TLHookUp

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:55 pm

I did alot of trolling in Maine this summer for salmon and trout. My best results were troll one high with a keil weight and small spoon for salmon. Other line I used the lead core deep with sewn on bait for browns. Use at least 2 swivels

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:25 am

When you say use a swivel, do you mean a swivel to attach to your line, or to attach to the lead for the dips diver?

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:38 pm

If you are going to try sewn on bait in my opinion works best fished deep. I tie a swivel onto my leadcore then use a 6'floro leader tied onto another swivel,then onto another 6' leader then to bait. Sounds confusing but had nice results this summer. I tried the dipsy diver and wasn't a fan. Don't think my tackle was heavy enough.

Posted Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:18 am

Iv'e heard that sewn on smelts are the best thing to use, and i think i get your concept of the swivels, thanks for the advice!

Posted Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:32 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links