Hi guys
Do you know when the trout stocking happens in the fall?
I found the info for spring stocking (http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/northeast-district-stocking-.html) but I did not see anything for the fall...
Is the trout bite usually good in the fall?

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Too early! Check the site in another month!

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:07 pm

But when it is stocked, the fishing is pretty good. I usually have better success in the fall- not sure why though. Maybe the fish are trying to put on some weight or something.

Also, in my experience, there are less people, so you don't have to "compete" for a spot. Last year in April I was at Walden the day after it was stocked, and I had to leave because it was completely packed. I went back in fall, the day after the stocking, and had the entire lake to myself. I probably caught and released a dozen trout that afternoon.

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:16 pm

ok thanks guys, in 1 month then. can't wait!
what are the best ways to catch them from a boat? trolling spoons, spinners and small crankbaits? live bait?

Posted Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:27 pm

From shore, small spoons and spinners usually work, tipped with a piece of worm. I assume casting them from a boat would be equally effective. Trolling works, but find I can control my lure better while casting. I like to feel every strike and be able to cast it into different areas quickly. Sometimes something as simple as a worm under a bobber will do the trick! I usually cast out one of my two rods with a worm and set it in a holder, and fish the other one with a tiny spoon.

Posted Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm sure it's better in the fall because trout like colder water and moving water.

Posted Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Haha spinner with worm I didn't know that! Will try it out, thanks for the tip Smile

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am

alot of the ponds stocked in spring arent stocked in the fall! only a few are! the bigger ponds and lakes are stocked

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:29 pm

They usual start fall stocking last 2 wks of sept depending on water temp. Stock til columbus day. Due to the limited stocking they may not post when the lakes r stocked. Go to same spot on ma gov.com u found spring stockings. Lakes under lined are one that get stocked in fall as well as spring. Some hold overs can be caught now with temps dropping. Most fall stocked if not all are capable of holding trout yr round that is why they get stocked again in fall.

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:44 pm

That's another great point. I always have caught a lot of big holdovers in the fall.

And a spinner and worm is where its at!

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Do u mean the hooks that come pre maid with spinners or an actual rooster tail,blue fox,panther martin etc......

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but I usually use a Panther Martin or similar spinner tipped with a worm. anything small and shiny works, but yes, a actual rooster tail, Panther Martin etc. is really effective.

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 pm

My uncle n dad used to use hooks with leader beads n blades on them with a worm for brookies in Maine. Never thought to put a piece of worm on inline spinner. Will have to try this.

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Honestly, it probably doesn't increase my success rate by that much, but when it only takes a second to add one on, why not? But, I do believe that the added scent does help, and at the very least it probably looks better with a long, juicy worm hanging off it Very Happy

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 pm

badlarry

My uncle n dad used to use hooks with leader beads n blades on them with a worm for brookies in Maine. Never thought to put a piece of worm on inline spinner. Will have to try this.

i know those hooks! used to use em alot! worked great to!

little added flash when using shiners! they still make em

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links