The 9th Tourney of the UBFL season got under way Sunday morning at Dudley Pond in Wayland under beautiful skies and hot weather. The fish were in a biting mood as everyone filled a bag and then some. Of course the early morning bite was best but fish were to be found throughout the day. Pats Perchs, Tsunamis...worms and jigs along the bottom, ultra finesse, and two tricked out Chatterbaits accounted for most of the fish.

Throwing out the ceremonial first Pats Perch was Dan "the Man" Dunbar. Dan is new to our group but has fit in nicely since he joined us 6 tourneys ago. Dan has shown a true love for fishing and he's been competitive. Dan has also helped me out considerably doing a bunch of little things that I and others have to get done prior to weigh in. Dan has also helped with all of us getting our boats in and out of the water. He's the guy with the pants wet up to the Knees. Thanks for all you do Dan! All of us appreciate your efforts! Nice addition to all us Pond rats!

We had nine boats for this weeks tourney with three late withdrawals. Please let me know in advance if you can't make it guys.....we had a four boat wait list whom were notified to late for them to make plans. Please and Thanks.

Taking home "The Belt" this week for the second time this season with a dominating performance was Team "Bass Bangers”. Tony "Bassmaster" Rosariooooooo and Donny "Big Fish" Capen whacked the fish pretty good bringing in a bag of kiver killers weighing 16lbs 4oz. "What could have been" might be the story as I personally saw Tony lose two pigs right next to the boat. A good day otherwise all around as the brothers from different mothers tossed a Fat Pats and a Jig all over a rotation of productive spots to produce the winning bag. Not a big surprise here as these two solid and excellent tourney fisherman have been winning UBFL, Lunkers, and the local Bass Pro Shop groups tourneys for years. I can't tell you how many times I have finished second to these guys over the past ten years.

The "Bass Bangers" bag also produced the Big Bass of the tourney as a 5.3 Dudley Perch Pouncer succumbed to the sexy wiggle of Tony's Phat Pats...grabbed some Pats ass, and had the rest of the day to enjoy a ride in "Bassmasters" and "Big Fish's" cooled and treated spa. The blue stuff is suppose to calm those fish down?????? Ya right!

Also, on Tuesday, Tony and Donny had a 3rd place finish in a 17 boat field while fishing on Cochituate with the tourney group from Bass Pro. And...."Big fish" Capen lived up to his name and managed to trick another fat ditch donkey for the tourney big fish on a Chatterbait. This is the second tourney in a row while fishing their tourney....and I believe for the fourth tourney in a row that they've fished in that Team Bassbangers has walked away with big fish scratch.......Confidence maybe???? Perhaps we should name a sandwich after them ....Big Fish Roll?

2nd place this week and bringing home some scratch for the umpteenth time were Team "Boys from Bedrock". Mike "Fred" Wells and Jeff "Barney" Porcella culled through 50 or so bass (truth) to bring in a solid 15.4 bag. These Pals of the Pescado caught all of their fish (in front of everyone...lol) on the small stuff they are famous for. No kidding .......anything rubber over three inches is fishing the "big stuff". anything over crawling is power fishing...God bless them for their patience......I didn't have a lure in my box that was as finesse as these guys go finesse until I met these two "part fish" friends.......whole new eye opening style for most fisherman. Obviously the technique was developed over the years of fishing the crystal clear waters of cape cod......pretty cool stuff. The B. F. Bedrock are always more than happy to share all of their techniques and the gear they use with it. Thanks for that guys.....we notice your generosity of fishing knowledge

Coming in 3rd place this week and lending credence to the ole sayings "a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" and "A broken clock is right two times a day" was yours truly...Rob "Weedman" Ross...fishing with Barry "Hammerhead" Bennett. We changed it up this week and left the Pats Perch and the small finesse stuff at home knowing in our infinite wisdom that those baits would never work on Dudley. Instead we geniuses put on some sun tan lotion, brought some comfy chairs, and fished "stupid".........you know.......taking a nap, reading a book, snacking, checking our Facebook page, and soaking a trick worm for hours as we enjoyed the day. Once in a while a really stupid fish would amble by, bite, thus ringing the bell at the end of the rods. This would and did scare the hell out of us...mostly waking me up and startling Hammerhead away from Sportscenter on his phone! Turned into a great pattern!
We found this pattern while fishing with our ladies.........seems to work for them every time!

I must say that our pattern was partially stolen by Ron "Badassbassman" Washburn who used the "Distraction Pattern" on us to good affect by bringing along his secret weapon..... Loren "Fineassbasswoman" Fairchild........who became our second female UBFL contestant after the legendary and well respected Betsy "Supermom" Lipson. It was like a romance novel out there with the two paddling around like they were in a Venice Gondola. The deviousness of it never ended as "Fineassbasswoman" lured one boat after another into fishing the dead water surrounding the romancing couple’s boat. Of course Ron placed his boat perfectly over the offshore hump. I can personally say it was dead water since I fished that water for 6 hours with nary a nibble:-/ In all seriousness...It was very nice to meet you Loren and thanks for being a good sport!

P.S. Bikinis will still be allowed at tourneys

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 am

weedman

!

P.S. Bikinis will still be allowed at tourneys

You mean Optional....

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:00 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links