Hi all,

TL/DR: What are some of the unwritten rules and/or guidelines you expect anglers to follow?

I was thinking about someone's comment on my last fishing trip ("most of us catch and release bass, but don't care about dead pickerel")-- and I realized there are probably all sorts of unwritten rules/ thoughts on fishing etiquette. (Like, "Don't catch up all of the small but keepable bass"...is that a rule of sorts?) I'd hate to be a terrible person off the bat, but I don't quite know how to learn these things without asking. So, I'm asking: What do you expect of your fellow anglers? What are some general suggestions for good fishing practices?

For instance-- I'm sure it's a no-brainer for people to clean up after themselves, to keep the water and shore clean.

Also, after my latest trip I've learned that just because a fish is a keeper, doesn't mean you should take it.... (pickerel ARE bony....)

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 am

You're gonna think I'm a stalker or something lol. I swear I'm not. I just check in here a lot and can't keep my mouth shut. Most of the unwritten rules are common sense like don't fish right next to somebody that's already at a spot. In regards to keeping fish there are laws. Can't keep a bass under 12 inches for instance. If you have a license it's your right to keep 5 bass over 12. Most of us prefer you to keep the small ones and let the big ones go to be caught another day. As far as other species go I'm not positive what the rules are. If you plan on eating them I hear the panfish are the best. Perch, crappie and bluegill. That stuff can be looked up on mass.gov

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 am

Don't worry, he stalks everyone Very Happy

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 am

I'm not worried, Shawn. I figured you're just here all the time. If you turn up at my museum, then I'd get concerned Shocked Smile

I've been very thorough about learning the official laws and regulations... (I have a binder. I am a nerd.) But the other stuff, like letting the big ones go, is kind of what I'm after. The general courtesy type things.

Maybe I'll put together a list of people's suggestions.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Do a top ten David Lettermen style list

And number 10...don't stick you hook where it doesn't belong!

And number 9...

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:35 pm

And number 9

Don't fish off the company pier.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

#1 it's always stratos's fault

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:50 pm

samf

When in doubt... see rule #1

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 pm

stratos1966

samf

Leave it to Sam to screw up rule #1.
Rule #1 is Jeff's #1

Rule of thumb is it's always Stratos's fault.

How long have you been here? Geesh

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 pm

shawneramone

stratos1966

samf

Leave it to Sam to screw up rule #1.
Rule #1 is Jeff's #1

Rule of thumb is it's always Stratos's fault.

How long have you been here? Geesh

The rain today......................... my fault

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 am

If your in a boat with an engine try and slow down when passing other boats so as not to " throw a big wake" so the people in the other boat don't have to hang on for dear life.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am

Please don't cross my line. Please don't leave trash.

Otherwise, do whatever you want. I'm not a game warden... I'll still catch fish.

I've got no time for fishing snobs. I'm in it for fun.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am

So, can I blame stratos for my losing about 7 hooks the other day? Because that just doesn't seem fair.

(Also, how on earth do you avoid losing hooks to what I can only imagine are underwater rock goblins?)

Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 pm

If you see a boat fishing an area and catching fish, don't make a diagonal b-line across the lake and stop 50-75 feet away to the spot they are minutes from getting to to cut them off! Just saying, boating etiquette should be followed at all times! Mad

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 am

when in a boat and you see people on a dock, don't fly by causing a wake that could cause them to lose their balance. Also, give a decent amount of clearance between you and shore fishermen. Can't tel you how many times they have hooked my line....and I'm fishing bottom!

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:03 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links