4. Josh

5.Team Derek

6.Halo

7. Bed , Bass and beyond

8.Hookset

9.Henery B

Alternate.

Alternate

I will be doing 1-3 more of these in the next 3 months so be on the lookout. Site would be Knopps Pond, Oldham and Agawam river

Last edited by stratos1966 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 20 times in total

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Team Five Over Five is in...

Ron

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:20 pm

anyone have any luck at Upper this year? I been 4 times and I have not caught a single fish. Just read an article from Mystic River Watershed, there are reports of dead carp all over the place from lower lake all the way to the salt water locks. The "experts" say it's stress from spawning. I'm not buying it. Something is off.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I have not been there this year yet Karl.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:56 pm

An important clue here is that seemingly all the fish are one species (carp) and one size class (large)...
We do not believe that there is evidence that this die-off is the result of pollution... If a pollutant were the cause, the effect would not be limited to one species and one size of fish...

We also do not believe that the cause is low dissolved oxygen levels (another common cause of fish kills). There is no evidence of dramatically low dissolved oxygen levels along the length of the Mystic, and carp are, in any case, among the most resilient fish in the face of low oxygen.

So the evidence suggests that is a rare, but essentially “natural” die-off, affecting only one species.

http://mysticriver.org/myrwa-blog/2015/6/18/whats-happening-to-carp-on-the-mystic.html

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Karl is right. Something is wrong/different. The whole river system is gross but the carp have survived in that cess pool of pollution for 30 years. Hopefully the "pros" can figure it out. I still can't believe people ride their jet skis and that tufts row in their.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 pm

I'd be interested in the Oldham tournament, but would I be able to use my Tracker but only on trolling motor?

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:01 pm

kman

anyone have any luck at Upper this year? I been 4 times and I have not caught a single fish. Just read an article from Mystic River Watershed, there are reports of dead carp all over the place from lower lake all the way to the salt water locks. The "experts" say it's stress from spawning. I'm not buying it. Something is off.

Was there Tuesday after work. Just for a few minutes, from shore did get one bite but I missed the fish. Also, there was a maybe 1 1/2 or 2lb bass dead on the shore line, duck was making a meal out of it. Could be just a coincidence?

I'll keep stopping by & trying a few spots before & after work. I usually catch something?

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Im in. Thanks rich for doing these alot of guys dont approciatr all the work you guys put in

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm in for this one.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Two years ago a oil tanker spilled its contents into the Mystic river. The carp most likely bioaccumulated a lot of the oil since they eat muck all day long. After two years muck eating it is probably killing them off.

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:51 am

The Mystics can stand to lose a few Carp. The bass has me stumped. Nothing at the spillway, Nothing in the river. Nothing in between all that. This time of the year for the last 6 years has been killer fishing.

I did see a boat with three guys on it. They launched with gas motor at 10:30 at night. Their truck had some fisheries biology logo on it.
I hope things are just off and it straightens out. I have a bad vibe.

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 am

Last weekend I fished the Mystic River between Rt.16 and Assembly Row (Amelia Earhart Dam). I saw a couple live carp at the water surface (seemingly feeding on the Water Chestnut?), and I saw 4-5 dead large carp, which made me nervous for the health of the Mystic Watershed. I did not see or catch any live (non-carp) fish. I'm fishing the Lower Mystic Lake and River Sat and Sun...I'll let you know if I see any changes.

A couple links discussing this issue (with pics of the harvester Medford is using to control the invasive Water Chestnut plants):

1. http://www.universalhub.com/2015/large-dead-fish-surface-mystic-river-mysterious

2. http://mysticriver.org/myrwa-blog/2015/6/18/whats-happening-to-carp-in-the-mystic.html

I wish they could clean up this lake/river like they did the Charles...Mystic got a "D" for water quality in 2013. http://mysticriver.org/myrwa-blog/2014/12/19/mystic-river-receives-d-grade-for-2013-water-quality.html

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Anyone else want in? Where are the senko sisters, Sam and Shawn?

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Pave it

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links