Hi all, long time lurker and first-time poster. I've been exploring some of the kettle ponds on the cape researching them. I wade-fished Peter's pond last summer to no avail... I saw on OTW that there are some big browns that cruise the shallows at night in some of the kettle ponds. Has anyone night fished for these beasts before? As a flyfishermanI would like to throw some big streamers and mice patterns and watch some browns crush them. Anyone have any experience with this kind of fishing? If so, any weather/time advice? Or general tips? It would be much appreciated!

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm

smarthawk

Hi all, long time lurker and first-time poster. I've been exploring some of the kettle ponds on the cape researching them. I wade-fished Peter's pond last summer to no avail... I saw on OTW that there are some big browns that cruise the shallows at night in some of the kettle ponds. Has anyone night fished for these beasts before? As a flyfishermanI would like to throw some big streamers and mice patterns and watch some browns crush them. Anyone have any experience with this kind of fishing? If so, any weather/time advice? Or general tips? It would be much appreciated!

Hey man I fish some of those kettle ponds a decent amount for trout at night and during the day however I do not fly fish. I always have my best luck on jerkbaits, inline spinners, and top waters. I am not sure what would relate to any of those baits for a fly but I am sure you do so try and match those with your tackle. I LOVE jerkbaits for trout. Esp big browns. I thought I saw someone coming out with a little rat for trout and I am very intrigued. Hope you can translate some of that to fly. Cheers

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 am

fisherman2401

Hey man I fish some of those kettle ponds a decent amount for trout at night and during the day however I do not fly fish. I always have my best luck on jerkbaits, inline spinners, and top waters. I am not sure what would relate to any of those baits for a fly but I am sure you do so try and match those with your tackle. I LOVE jerkbaits for trout. Esp big browns. I thought I saw someone coming out with a little rat for trout and I am very intrigued. Hope you can translate some of that to fly. Cheers

fisherman2401, thanks for you reply and advice! Hopefully the mice work, it's a blast to watch fish crush them. Seeing that you have some experience, do these fish move shallow only in the fall for spawning? Or could I find them cruising the shallows during other seasons?

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Definitely can find them cruising in the shallows in spring time as well as spwan. They toss some big stockies in some of those kettle ponds so some aren't as smart as they are old. But that being said usually I am fishing getting most my bites in deeper water than shallower

Posted Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links