I'm new in the Springfield area and would like to know if anyone can share places to fish from shore (either bass, pike or trout fishing). These places don't have to be specifically to Springfield.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:22 am

Wachusett res opens in early April. Big trout and bass. Jerkbaits and kastmasters

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 am

I will make a note of that - thanks!

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

Connecticut River is right in your backyard and one of the best fisheries in the state! In addition to bass, pike, trout you can also find some awesome catfish, carp shore fishing. Also, if you've never caught an American Shad then try fishing for them in April/May. One of the best fighting fish you can catch in freshwater.

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:36 pm

This is true, but the river isn't always accessible from shore and I don't want to fish where the boat launches are (that's as bad as fishing with jet skis around) - I prefer small lakes/ponds

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm assuming from your avatar that you prefer fishing for largemouths. Have you tried the Oxbow in Northampton? Plenty of good fishing around that neck of the woods. Wachusetts is excellent, but you need to put in your time to dissect the various shoreline structures you find. Shore fishing is certainly challenging, but it can be done.

What kind(s) of presentations are you using? What do you look for for upon finding some access that gives you confidence?

Depending on your budget, the Quabbin Res. rents boats & motor for about the most reasonable cost of any place in New England. Something you might want to consider.

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links