Guys,

I want to somewhat 'graduate' from pond fishing in the area (South Meadow, for one) and want to fish the reservoir. I am a very beginner fisherman and want to try to get some bass, perch or even trout.

Is there a spot that's easy to get to without a mile walk into the woods, that's a good beginner spot (that may not be too busy on a weekend morning)?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:57 pm

You are asking the near impossible for the Chu. The short walks on Weekends always busy though maybe not as much this time of yr. Gate 14 is a short walk and not a bad place to start.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:23 pm

I was at Gate 14 tonight and I agree with badlarry, it's a good introduction to the Chu - it's the only section I've fished so far in two visits.

The water level is higher than it was when I went a month ago, so if you head south (to the left from the gate) to hit some of those coves, you have to bushwhack through the woods at some points.

I'm really surprised there aren't more fishermen's paths. The faint trail I followed through the woods to get to the ledges where there's a nice dropoff was a game trail that looked like deer use it more than people.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:07 pm

So far I've only done Rainbow Cove, gate 36. Caught a couple small bass on some black senkos, that's been it though.

Is there ample parking in gate 14? How far is the walk to the water?

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:19 am

Parking should not be a problem. There is room for several cars at a turnout just to the right of the gate, and if that's full, there is a dirt shoulder along the road that runs past the cemetery at the end of Scar Hill Road that can hold a half dozen vehicles easy.

Both times I've gone there were plenty of places to park.

From the gate it's five minutes or less to the water.

Enjoy! I hope to get back soon for another sunset bite.

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm

they moved the gate down a little closer ,last year.Great spot,time flies out there..rt.70 look for the deli,scarhill rd.across the street...go EARLY..

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks gents! I'll check it out!

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links