Does anyone here fish Walden Pond in Concord?

I'm thinking of hitting it for the first time in the next couple of weeks - or once it gets stocked - for fall trout fishing.

I hear it gets crowded on weekends but the trout action is amazing.

How good is the fishing, really? And how bad are the crowds?

Are there any general locations around the pond that area more productive than others?

Any help is much appreciated.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Its great for bass and trout! It gets crowded in the Spring, but not as much in the fall. I think the fishing is good with spoons/spinners or Powerbait, but some of my friends have never had luck there. I like to walk down the trail to the right of the swimming area, but really anywhere can be productive. If you go once they stock it, tell us how ya' did.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:49 pm

First off, thanks for the reply, brother.

I don't think they have started the fall stocking yet. At least that's what I was told when I called to check earlier this week.

I use mainly Power Eggs. Never had luck using spinners and spoons for trout. Is there any particular way I should work these lures in order to get them to bite?

By looking at the pond's depth chart, I kind of suspected that area to the right of the beach would be my best bet. Thanks for confirming that.

I wish they would stock Spot Pond in the fall. I live literally 3 minutes from it. And I had great success with the trout there this Spring.

Will post again once I go.

Thanks again.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 pm

I usually tip my spinner with a small piece of worm, and fish it under a split shot or two to get it down. Powerbait eggs are great too, though.

They haven't started the stocking yet, as far as I know. Last I heard some ponds were gonna get stocked on Monday and Tuesday.

I love Spot Pond for bass, but have never caught a caught a single trout, despite fishing for them for hours. I drive by it every day and live fairly close. Do you have any tips for catching trout there? And it is a pity they don't stock it in the Fall; it is perfect for trout- big, deep, rocky, cold.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:33 pm

I'll try that. What size spinners do you use and how far up the line do you place the split-shots? Also, do you let it sink to the bottom?

I agree with you on Spot Pond. It does seem perfect for trout.

Maybe it was beginner's luck - this year was my first year fishing freshwater - but I must have caught about a dozen rainbows earlier this year fishing around the Straw Point area.

I have two friends who also caught quite a few of them in the same area.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm not sure what size they are, but no longer than an 1 1/4 inches. Usually I use the smallest ones I can find. I place a couple split shots 1 foot away from spinner/spoon. And I don't let it sink to the bottom, mostly because I tend to loose a lot of lures when I do. Since Walden (and most other ponds stocked with trout) are very deep, I give it about 5 seconds to sink, and then slowly retrieve it. "Slowly" is the key word there, because I find that the retrieve speed is the most important factor in this technique.

As for Spot- a dozen rainbows is more than beginners luck! You're doing something right! I usually fish at Straw Point as well, off the big rocks when you first walk down the trail. I'm not sure if you know the location I'm referring to, but it is basically some tall rocks that hang about 10 feet over the water. Could you give me any tips on rigs for here? I assume Powerbait with a few split shots would be good... Thanks.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:37 am

Walden has not been stocked yet I have inside info not until early Oct. If you are fishing from shore try to get some pellets that they
feed them with at the farms. They will hang around the shore for about a week then they move out. Sometimes hold overs will come in as well but the bass fishing will be good then too.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 am

I have a bunch of spinners and a few spoons, all in the 1/4 - 1/2 oz range. I use them mostly for pickerel, but have caught a couple of smaller LM's on them, too.

That size range might be a little too big for trout, I guess.

I'll try to pick up a couple of smaller ones and use the technique you just described. Thanks for the tip, by the way.

Straw Point can be a little tricky. Most of the people I've talked to have told me that they don't have much luck with trout there, either. Maybe it's the time of year or the time of day, maybe it's the bait/lure they're using. I don't know.

All I know is that I've caught quite a few of them - and lost a few also - from the same area where most people say they get skunked. And I've seen it happen a couple of times. I would catch my limit while the guy fishing 10 feet away from me wouldn't even get a bite.

I don't do anything special, really. I use the same rig most people use, an egg sinker (1/2 oz to 3/4 oz), a small snap swivel at the end of my main line (4#), a leader made from the same 4# line (between 12" and 16" long) and Power Eggs.

All of the trout I've caught this year, about 3 dozen of them from different ponds and lakes, were caught using this very same rig.

The only thing I've noticed about my limited experience with trout fishing is that I have a substantially lower bite rate when I cast into submerged weeds. Maybe the trout don't like the weeds or maybe they just can't see the bait because the weeds are too tall. If that's the case, then you will have to increase the length of your leader by a couple of inches or find a spot where there are no weeds.

I would like to note that all the trout I caught out of Spot Pond where caught within 2 or 3 weeks of it being stocked.

I guess they got acclimated to their new environment and decided to explore other parts of the pond and I didn't catch anything else after that.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks, Flymaster1.

Do you know if they've stocked any other pond/lake in the area?

What kind of lure/bait do you use for bass at Walden?

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks for the tips about Spot Pond.

Like Flymaster1 said, try to get your hands on some of the hatchery pellets. They give you a huge advantage. Whenever I'm near a hatchery, I bring a big bag of quarters, and stock up.

Also, I've fished Walden a lot for bass in the summer, and it is very good. I don't have too much advice for this season, but next summer, you should give it a shot. The water is crystal clear, and if you follow the trail, you will see nice bass in the 2-4 lbs. range right along the shore, under the overhanging trees. Then try a senko, or a jig. It can be tough, but just drag it slowly

I've never targeted bass there in the fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if this technique works now, especially if it is sunny and fairly warm.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 pm

It's good there in the fall. Try the points sunken laydowns and offshore humps. They school up. There are smallies I'm there too.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:58 pm

I stopped going there because no matter what time I'd get there. A swim club would show up and start doing laps. 6am on a Sunday morning. They have no respect for fishermen. They swim right down the shore line. Sucks. Nice fish in there though

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

TeamTrout, someone once suggested I use the pellets. I didn't really think it would work.

What color senkos do you find work better? I'm assuming you rig them un-weighed, Texas style?

Sam, I read an article recently about Walden.

The author said that there aren't many bass fishermen there. That the vast majority are after trout. He mentioned that it is crazy deep in there and some people just assume it's not good for bass.

What do you think? Do you find that to be true?

Shawne, I can see how that would be annoying. Horn Pond has a similar problem. But with ducks and geese.

At least the geese and ducks try to avoid your line.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:51 am

Texas or wacky-your preference. I usually have success with a 4 or 5 inch black senko, but then again, this works basically everywhere.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:16 am

Walden is an excellent bass fishery it is true about people fish it primarily for trout so that leaves bass fishing wide open.
You man not pull in a six lber but there is a lot of 2 and 3 there we like to call clones.
If you got a boat there is a lot of rock piles, deep grass, and humps.
I have been there with samf, fall is the best time for Walden.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links