Took my boat for a test ride today at west lake and fished for 5 hours 2 guys and caught 3 fish under 2 lbs but saw over 500 dead crappie, perch, cat fish, and small bass. It was like the place was literally dead nothing biting anywhere nothing on fish finder and tons of dead fish. Anybody know anything?

Posted Mon May 18, 2015 8:36 pm

kissmybass26

Took my boat for a test ride today at west lake and fished for 5 hours 2 guys and caught 3 fish under 2 lbs but saw over 500 dead crappie, perch, cat fish, and small bass. It was like the place was literally dead nothing biting anywhere nothing on fish finder and tons of dead fish. Anybody know anything?

That's odd. I did see one small, freshly dead bass during the MAFF tournament there a few weeks ago, but that was it. And since I only had use of my trolling motor I looped the whole pond.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 am

It was very strange. A lot of them had black spots or growths up near their mouths but some looked fine. It's clearly a recent happening it looked like they had only been there a day or 2.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 10:18 am

I hardly ever fish there but any fish kill anywhere SUCKS!

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Fish kill happens a lot around the time the ice melts in early spring. Obviously this isn't the case if you found them in the month of May. There's probably some type of bacteria that the fish have almost no immunity to that has swept over the pond. This would explain the black growths you mentioned. Either a bacterial infection o a parasite.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 pm

The pond is contaminated with cynobacteria (blue-green algae) which is toxic to people and animals. May or may not be related to the fish kill as it has been that way for years. Quite possible the bogs changed the chemicals that they use. Most of the ponds in this area are a mess. Once things heat up and the blooms are in full swing it is usually Plymouth for me!

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 2:57 pm

wonder if it has something to do with all the dead vegetation from the winter. every drop deeper weed and shoreline vegetation was pretty much gone when I was there for the maff tourney. Oxygen levels? Algae? Bacteria? Virus?

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 7:03 pm

^ that's a large possibility as well. One pond that I've seen fish kill at this year is usually super super weedy. All the weeds died over the winter, probably because of how long the ice was present, and there was dead sunfish everywhere when I went last month.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 pm

There were 10× more dead crappie than any other fish which I find the most confusing part.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Email the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, they may be interested.

[url]mass.wildlife@state.ma.us[/url] Can't get it to link!

Posted Wed May 20, 2015 3:18 am

I was out on the East lake this morning. A lot of dead crappie and sunnies over there too. Fishing was pretty slow. Got 4 small crappie and only a few other strikes. No sign of any bass!

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 am

If this winter equals lots of fish kills and no weeds and worse fishing then last year. I may need a new hobby because this one wont be very much fun.

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 2:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links