Recently stumbled on this area:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/blst.htm

And though they are finishing work on a small dam slightly up river and the water level is low, I managed to pull out a 4-5 pound mirror carp yesterday on a home-made boilie on a hair rig.

[img]http://www.mafishfinder.com/users/b/bedlem/photos/1187892648_Mirror carp.JPG [/img]

Boilie I used if interested...

2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup corn meal
1/8-1/4 cup cheap flake fish food (optional)
a bit of cornstarch
--Mix these together in a medium bowl

In another bowl mix together;

1 egg
1-2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1-4 tbsp jam (I use strawberry..any berry is usually good though)
1/4 cup milk

now add the dry mix slowly to the wet mix. Mix thoroughly till dough starts forming. May need to add a bit more flour or poss milk if too wet/dry. Once you have a good fiarly smooth dough knead it out and/or roll it a bit. Form small balls from it, I like about a grape size or smaller.

Now boil the small balls for 1-2 minutes to make them a bit sturdier...cool and store till rdy to fish. Hope they catch ya some big ones.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:44 am

i dropped a few lines up the river at the dam you were talking about. didnt have any fresh bait or bread or anything good. didnt get any bites on anything... rubber worms, spinners, or anything else artificial.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 pm

timwag2001

i dropped a few lines up the river at the dam you were talking about. didnt have any fresh bait or bread or anything good. didnt get any bites on anything... rubber worms, spinners, or anything else artificial.

That stinks..still good to be outside even if you ain't catching anything. I was talking to some of the park workers in the area and they mentioned that someone pulled a nice sized Northern pike from up river a few weeks back. I can't confirm nor deny it so take it for what it's worth.

Carp seem to be ripping hard in the canal though, I got the one in my icon that started this post, seen a guy pull 2 or 3 out decent size downstream from me and visually seen about a dozen or so feeding in the area.

They said the work on the dam would be done soon so hopefully that will kick things up a notch as well.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm

i watched some old man pull out a carp at that dam that had to way 10 - 15 lbs. have you pulled anything big out of the blackstone?

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:10 pm

timwag2001

i watched some old man pull out a carp at that dam that had to way 10 - 15 lbs. have you pulled anything big out of the blackstone?

I haven't no best I've gotten so far is only bout 5-8 pounds..they say record for the river/canal is 42 pounds though. If I recall state record is 45 pounds and I'm betting a new record is just waiting in there to be pulled out.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 pm

do they ever bite anything arificial?

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:17 pm

Occasionally I have heard of em caught on jigs or what not, but I think most times thats just luck. Carp suck in food to see if it is indeed food so it isn't unthinkable. Though the better luck and more productive fisherman use catered to carp baits..course a can of corn is catered enough Smile.

I mean the first method for carp fishing I learned was to open a can of whole kernel corn, toss a few handfuls out then bait my hook and toss it in the same area. Cheap and easy. Worth it too cause let me tell you, hook into a 10+ pound carp and hold on...they can be mighty strong and fast when they wanna be. Though don't get me wrong, it isn't always fast paced as you may have to wait 5 mins or a few hours before you hook into a good one.

There is a huge movement in carp fishing though..Europe especially. They have extremely tailored gear now heh. Personally I like it simple. Few types of home made bait, a can or two of corn and I'm happy.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Went back today and the carp were rippin good.

Set up on the water by about 0800...by noon or so had hooked into about 10 fish. Ranging from 3 lbs to the biggest of the day sitting just under 15 lbs.

Not gonna give away all my secrets but seems they like strawberry and blackberry flavors right now, least that is what I had the most luck on. Used both boiles on a hair rig and pack/dough baits layered over Corn Pops cereal.

Not using much weight..small split shot at best, mostly just free-lining the area. I built a rod holder to lay my poles on horizontally and let the drag real loose so they suck it in and take off as my line whizzes out. SLowly tighten up the drag and have at em.

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 pm

what size hook do you use?

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Varies but not smaller then 6, usually no bigger then 2. I like circle/irregular for my Hair rig and standard J hook shape for regular leader.

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Bedlem,

I noticed that the image did not show that you added to the first post. There was actually a bug I just fixed in the Add Photo to Post functionality, so it should post correctly now. It's because there was a space in the image name that it did not show up correctly in your original post. Sorry this was not fixed earlier. I see you added the image as your icon, but here is the larger image below. Thanks for the post, it looks like a nice sized fish!

Thanks,

Dave O

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links