any tips on rattle traps lures. i got an xcaliubur rattle traps. only used it a few times. never caught a fish on it. when do i use them, what time of the year do they work?
ive been watching in-fishermen ice fishing show and they use them for waleye and lake trout in the winter verticle jigging.

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:33 am

Its a very versatile lure. Lets go through the life of the lure in a random given year.

Spring: New England - April: I've had really good luck at 48F over emergent vegetation when the bass are on the feed. Shallow water thus no other option and if windy, great opition. Straight retrieve or pump back to boat. Look at AL bassmaster classic info for line weights, etc. When fish are chasing bait or you need/can get them to react, great bait.

During the middle of the summer, not that great unless conditions are right. Example, I lived next to Spy Pond in Arlington. Midsummer they add chemicals which knock down weeds which i was planning to punch. I tie on rattletrap and throw over laid down weed beds (chemicals didnt kill but did suppress weeds). Two over 3lbs on numerous trips. Over the next two weeks, each trip produced around 15 fish (per 4 hours) with 2-3 3 lbers. Late fall, reduced water temps can be another good time. PM for more details.

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 am

Great cold water bait Exclamation Try different retrieves to see what they want. Steady, yo-yo, stop n go, burn it, they will all work Exclamation Color isn't a big factor, it is the sound and action that gets them going Exclamation

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 am

I have been using this type of lure more and more as I gain confidence and catch more and larger fish. Last year this style lure caught me maybe 10 bass all year. Yesterday alone I caught 5 bass all keepers with the largest being 3.5 lbs. The rod you use will be a big factor. My favorite is a 7' St Croix Mojo baicast rod it's actually for throwing plastics but I feel everything with it. Very versitle lure burning across top, yo yoing, ripping through grass, try different techniques until the bass tell you how they want it. Try to make contact with structure this will really get the basses attention. I think color is a big factor, I like to try and match the color of the baitfish that are in the water I'm fishing.
Good luck. Tight lines...

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 am

Anytime would be good to try. Slower retrieve in early spring. Right now is ideal as they fatten up for winter.

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 am

thanks guys. great cold water bait really?

Posted Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:17 am

bassturds

Would I lie to you Question Laughing Shallow, bog type ponds especially.

Posted Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 am

matt, go to spy often? i live close by and just never made it there. always wanted to but wasn't sure if the fish are back to normal size.

Posted Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I did go to Spy this summer when I lived less than 5 minutes and even though they had the h.p. restriction, I put my boat in anyway and never ran into any problems.

Still a ton of dinks but on almost every day I went there I ran into at least one 3 lber. That place is also LOADED with white perch.

Posted Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

don51

bassturds

Would I lie to you Question Laughing Shallow, bog type ponds especially.

hahaha i hope not. but you are a fishermen Go Fish
thats all i got around is bog. sawmpy, muddy ponds, with weeds
how would i fish the trap. on the bottom? it would get coverd in weeds and other crap

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:54 am

If the pond is too weedy you will probably have to wait until the weeds die off. If the weeds are sparse you can rip the bait right through them Exclamation Yeah, you can fish a trap off the bottom but is has to be pretty clean to do that.

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 am

In went to spy. Yup tons of dinks loaded up on textbook spots.

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

don51

If the pond is too weedy you will probably have to wait until the weeds die off. If the weeds are sparse you can rip the bait right through them Exclamation Yeah, you can fish a trap off the bottom but is has to be pretty clean to do that.

so how would you fish it in the cold water. isnt it a fast moving bait?

Posted Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links