I'm looking to buy a bait cast reel but I've never really known how to use them. I know it can get tricky to cast them so any information you guys can help me with would be great. I'm not really sure what's a good one and I'm looking to not spend too much ($60 to $70 is my price range). Also what type of line is best for bait casters (Lb tess as well)? I also keep hearing that beginners tend to create a lot of "birds nests" when first casting so any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

And let me just say that it's good to finally find a site like this for MA fisherman.

Posted Thu May 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I just bought my first baitcaster at Bass Pro. It is a Wally Marshall series. I then got a fiberglass- graphite reinforced pole for it.

$45 for the reel and $19 dollars for the pole. I have not practiced with it and I have used it for live fishing. I have birds nest it many many times. It's frustrating, especially with a live shiner on the hook, 'cause I could get a strike and I can't do anything about it with a birds nest I'm trying to pull out.

I bring my Shimano spinning reels with me and change up when I feel I have too. But the problem is that I am not practicing with the baitcaster on dry land when I am not fishing.

It's my understanding, that once you become proficient on a baitcaster, you'll never use anything else because of accuracy. I have saltwater shimano spinning reels that I cast with a 12 foot pole off the canal for stripers. There are not many anglers that can cast farther than me with that rig. Then somebody will show up with a saltwater baitcaster, a 12 foot jig stick, a 4-5 ounce jig spoon, and the dude will cast the spoon 30 yards farther than my best cast. It is a thing of beauty to watch one of those rigs cast out from the shore. Even the sound of the line removing itself from the baitcaster spool is awesome.

Of course, it takes $300 to $700 dollars to put together a rig like that. It is important to become proficient with a baitcaster first, before you invest that kind of money.

There are several members here that have been using baitcasters for years.( johnny-bag-a-bass and meat for instance) I'm a newbie and they are way ahead of me . Perhaps they will post a comment for you and help you out. They have helped me.

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 7:49 am

Hey Sketch,
it depends on what you are doing, i don't recomend fishing with shiners on a baitcaster. it can be done but can be like pissing in the wind it will just piss on you all day long.
. first let me start of by saying, take it slow.
buy something in the 5-6 bearing range with a maybe a fireline or braid 15lb to start.
the most important thing i can tell you is don't go for gold on your first casts, just throw it short distances and keep your thumb on the spool when you release. if you can control your thumb pressure on the reel you will not have as many backlashes.
also, you have to play the weight game with your baits. on the side of most reels is a braking system that allows you to control the forward motion of the spool, when i'm fishing a 3/8 or a 1/2 oz spinnerbait or jig, i'm at like 7-8 on the brake. if i'm fishing lighter plastics i'm at like 4-5. so you have to play with that as well.
i know it's a lot to take in right away. but keep at it and you'll get it.
i hope it helps bro

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

Doughay- Thanks for the insight I'll probably go out and get a reel this weekend and hopefully take it out soon after.

Johnnybag- Thank you for your help as well. I will try that setup when I get a reel. I'm not one to shy away from too much info especially if it involves fishing hahaha. Again thank you for the help I'll let you know how things go from time to time.

Posted Sat May 30, 2009 8:57 am

A couple of years ago I bought Drew (hubby) a very expensive Kistler graphite baitcasting rod with a very expensive Daiwa reel to go with it. The two together were well over $600.

Drew has always fished with a spinning set up so he was excited to try out his new rig. Even with years of fishing experience under his belt, he still had a bit of difficulty getting the technique down. Once he got the hang of it, he liked it very much. Until the damn tip broke off the Kistler rod!!

I'm thinking if the tip can break off of such an expensive rod, then buying a cheap one might be throwing your money down the toilet. In the end Drew still prefers the St. Croix spinning rod I bought him to replace the Kistler.

My advice..if you want to try fishing a baitcasting rod, see if you can borrow one from a friend to try it out first. If you can't borrow one, buy an inexpensive one. You might want to check this rig out from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0063867124019a.shtml

It's a rod and reel combo and only costs $60.

Hope that helps.

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:12 am

I got my first baitcaster earlier this year. While the learning curve is a bit steep, it is well worth the initial trouble.

For me, the biggest thing to avoid backlashes is concentration, gotta pay close attention to stopping the reel as soon as your lure hits the water, unlike the willy nilly approach you can take with a spinning reel.

Also, Youtube has some great tutorials for baitcasting technique (as well as many other fishing techniques), Youtube videos shoud not be overlooked when it comes to researching anything about fishing.

LL

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 am

I also got a my first baitcaster this year. i got a bill dance quantum rod/reel combo which was about 60 bucks at Bass Pro...i haven't had any problems with it, in fact, I use it more than my spinning rod now! When I first started with it, I was recommended 12lb mono, as it doesn't backlash as tightly as braid, then after a few weeks I switched over to braid (Wal Mart has really cheap Spider Wire, if you have one near you). I also practiced casting a little bit with a 1oz weight tied onto the line. Make sure the tension is set properly and that helps with backlashes as well. Good Luck!

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links