can anyone talk to me about the huddleston. i wanted to get one but before i did i wanted some tips and input. (thanx guys)

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm

fishermanmike

can anyone talk to me about the huddleston. i wanted to get one but before i did i wanted some tips and input. (thanx guys)

I can't get a sniff with the their big baits. No love with me on the hud deluxe. Their grass minnow and their 6"swimbait work better for me. Love to finally get one on the deluxe.

If you haven't seen them yet your missing out, Butch Brown on youtube. Huddleston freak of nature that guy. The 5 fish for 65lbs, and the 19lb that comes unbutton in the net are youtube gold.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 am

1 word... patients.

Their bigger baits have no feel to them at all. You feel like you are pulling in a chunk of plastic with no action on it t all yet when you finally do get to see the bait that last 5-6' the tail is wagging and the bait looks amazingly real. I love the new Hudd 68s. They are the 6" version of their bait but with the tail from an 8" bait. The bait has that thumping feel to it as you reel it in. I have yet to hook a bass on any hudd bait but I have had my retrieve come to an abrupt stop and my rod doubled over a few times. I just have not hooked up with a bass. pickeral love these baits as well but the baits don't like pickeral and will shred or tear after a few pickeral because of their sharp teeth. You are mostly targeting offshore deeper water stuff with these baits since 9 times out of 10 you are "slow rolling" it on or near the bottom.
There are all kinds of mods people do to hudds but that is a topic for another day. My recommendation is if you have the patience to throw a bait all day for only a few bites... they are worth it. I know guys who love them and swear by them and catch fish regularly. They have put in the hours to learn how to read a lake and dissect deeper water structure.I'm still learning. If you are going to make 8-10 casts then put it down and pick up a senko.......invest in more senkos instead.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am

How do realprey swimbaits hold up?
How is their action?
The guy who makes them claims the material is rel rugged and can withstand a few pickerel hits?

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:00 am

Jay I picked up my 1st real prey late summer and fished it twice. 1 bass to show for it , no pickeral. It is made out of a different kind of plastic then most soft plastic swimbaits. It has good tail kick and I know of a couple cape guys that love them in the herring color. The bait I have (Herring) has a tight wiggle as opposed to a wider wobble of the hudd. It falls nose down on a slack line and it can be burned then stopped to let fall . You can jig it off the bottom of just slow roll it. It's not that heavy either so a flipping stick and 17lb mono or floro would handle it fine.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

so do u think i should get the 6" or the 8"?

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Damon and I have been throwing hudds for years. As rich said, you have to be dedicated to throwing it. I throw mainly 6" regular and 68's. I remove the hook and replace it with a 1/0 owner st-36 stinger. I have also had a ton of luck the weedless grass minnows and shad.

Damon exclusively throws the 6" weedless. These baits work, but you need to put your time in it.

fishermanmike, I would get the 6" to start. I have an 8" rainbow that I only throw in the fall. the rest of the year is 6".

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm

bangbang

Damon and I have been throwing hudds for years. As rich said, you have to be dedicated to throwing it. I throw mainly 6" regular and 68's. I remove the hook and replace it with a 1/0 owner st-36 stinger. I have also had a ton of luck the weedless grass minnows and shad.

Damon exclusively throws the 6" weedless. These baits work, but you need to put your time in it.

fishermanmike, I would get the 6" to start. I have an 8" rainbow that I only throw in the fall. the rest of the year is 6".

Whoa! where did this guy come from????? Bang Bang the white buffalo special appearance!

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:39 am

fishermanmike

I say get the 6" hudd 68 in either Rainbow trout or perch.

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:43 am

stratos1966

fishermanmike

Putting 5 Bass Pattern Huds in your livewell at Wallum will win you the event

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:56 am

sinista

stratos1966

fishermanmike

And no one batting an eye because they are the same size as everyone else fish....... priceless

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

stratos1966

sinista

stratos1966

fishermanmike

And no one batting an eye because they are the same size as everyone else fish....... priceless

exactly, if you really want to make it legit, throw a 1.5 lb live lunker winner in with them,

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm

sinista

stratos1966

sinista

stratos1966

fishermanmike

exactly, if you really want to make it legit, throw a 1.5 lb live lunker winner in with them,

No no no... that's when the red flag goes up because everyone knows there are no 1.5lb fish in there.

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 pm

stratos1966

sinista

stratos1966

sinista

stratos1966

fishermanmike

No no no... that's when the red flag goes up because everyone knows there are no 1.5lb fish in there.

Good point...

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Don't forget the equipment you need just to throw a hudd. Talking long heavy rod heavy reel and line your basically gonns be throwing 8" hudds on light musky gear. I believe they are around 2-3 oz each bait! Heavy

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links