Have seen some nice sized Carp in the Muddy River (Boston/Brookline) over the past week. Anyone ever catch one there? If so, what did you get it on?

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:15 pm

I haven't myself, but you can be pretty sure to catch them on sweet corn ( about 3-4 kernals on a #6 hook should do) or a big balled up peice of bread.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Be careful using corn, heard it was illegal in mass. I guess it messes up their digestive system or something.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Corn issue has been talked about before but I fail at finding it on the threads here, I'll like blackstonecarp tell you the exact wording of the law cause I know he knows it by heart

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Lol, yeah corn issue has been done and again...

It is perfectly legal to use corn. It does not mess up anything's digestive track. If you use field/deer corn then it has to be prepared but sweet corn from a can is fine. Only a handful of states don't allow the use of it, Rhode Island for one in trout waters...

Let us be honest with ourselves here...they let you shoot carp with a bow/crossbow. Do you really think they are worried about their digestion?

So it doesn't become an issue here is the link to the abstracts for our great state...

http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/general-fishing-regulations-advisories/

The part of interest is

FISHING PROHIBITIONS

Explosives
Jug, toggle or trot line fishing.
Lead Sinkers, Lead Weights, and Lead Jigs Weighing Less Than an Ounce. Any sinker or weight made from lead that weighs less than 1 ounce, and any lead jig (meaning any lead-weighted hook) that weighs less than 1 ounce, is prohibited for use in all inland waters of the Commonwealth. The term lead sinker shall not include any other sinkers, weights, fishing lures or fishing tackle including, but not limited to, artificial lures, hooks, weighted flies, and lead-core or other weighted fishing lines.
More than two hooks for fishing or more than five hooks when ice fishing. A hook is defined as an angling device attached to a fishing line which is designed to take one fish at a time but is not limited to devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs, or plugs.
Possession of: Sturgeon (all species), American Brook Lamprey, Atlantic (sea-run) Salmon, Bridle Shiner, Burbot, Eastern Silvery Minnow, Lake Chub, Longnose Sucker, and Northern Redbelly Dace is illegal! If caught, release immediately. This means remove hook or cut line and return fish to water immediately—do not pose for photographs, place on a stringer, hold in a net, or delay in any way the immediate return and release of the fish to the water.
Poisons
Releasing fish or spawn into inland waters, except by permit.
Rubbish in inland waters.
Sale of freshwater fish without a permit.
Snagging
Transporting live fish (except bait for personal use) without a permit.

So as you can see if it was illegal it would list it there.

That being said check out the carp forums here as there are some great discussions about bait, including quite a few recipes and such from some of the more experienced guys. To be fair most tend to chase them as Hank has said with a bit of sweet corn and/or bread. The fun part about carp fishing is it is as simple or complicated as you want to make it. I will try and answer any questions if I can, I only ask that if you chase carp you use a proper net, and try to show them some respect!

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks Blackstone, I just had some other guy last week tell me Corn was illegal. This person doesn't even fish!!! I use corn for Carp, and alot of it. When the corn becomes explosive then I will stop using it, Or I get my Crossbow Permit and go hunting those guys instead of the Carp....

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the information. Will let you know if I have any luck.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

yea i just caught one for the first time a couple days ago, i used corn, im not sure about the illegal part, i wouldnt think it was illegal because i see a lot of people doing it. I used corn on a weightless rig, just a hook, you don't need to cast far they come up close to get it. BUT make sure you use strong hooks, i was using eagle claw hooks and i landed one with no trouble, but when i hooked the second one, it straightened out my hook right at the shore.

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:28 pm

heres a pic of one i caught caught

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Great job

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links