05/19/09 11:18 PM X
Caught my first Pickerel ever today. Good size I think. I didn't get a chance to take a pic because of its teeth. Didn't know how to handle it. How do you handle one?

Posted Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Grab the b**** around the girth and unhook him. If I have to, I'll step on the nasty picerel and get my hook back. Picerel are a waste of bass -fishing time, unless it's at least 24" in length. Very Happy

Posted Wed May 20, 2009 5:27 am

I keep an old rag with me, and grab the pickerel just behind the gills. With the rag, you dont get the slime on your hands and Ill just rinse it in the water after.

Posted Wed May 20, 2009 9:34 am

I always have a pair of pliers in my bag. If he's big then I willl step on him and use the pliers to remove the hook. I hate catching the slimy nasty things. The only thing worse than Pickerel is an Eel.

Posted Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah Meat i like the rag idea,never thought of that,You can also stick your thumdb and index finger in through it gills an squeeze and that freezes them to,They are a great fight too,Nasty fish,been bitten a few times by them .
. This is how Mikey C showed me how to o it.[/img]

Posted Wed May 20, 2009 2:34 pm

petralunker

Yeah Meat i like the rag idea,never thought of that,You can also stick your thumdb and index finger in through it gills an squeeze and that freezes them to,They are a great fight too,Nasty fish,been bitten a few times by them .

. This is how Mikey C showed me how to o it.[/img]

Hey i'm good for something!!!!

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 4:10 pm

i bought a cheap pair of boga type lip grippers from bass pro shop, they hold on tight when the pickeral is flailing about, you don't have to touch them, and it frees up your other hand to plier the hook out of those jaws they have. then just pull the release mechanism, and plop them back in the drink(unless it's like the one i caught about 3 or 4 years ago, 4 lbs 11 ozs, and 36 inches long) i took a pic of that one.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:24 am

I shoot them in the head with a 45 and the hook comes right out!

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm

vinny60

I shoot them in the head with a 45 and the hook comes right out!

LOL, I LOVE that caliber!!!!

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:46 pm

They're actually very easy to handle. I actually like Meat's Rag idea because they are very slimy.

I actually enjoy catching them. Pound for pound, they put up more of a fight than most bass do.

Posted Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Nice work an nailing a pickerel. All these tips are accurate.

Although i have witness 2 , 17-20 inch pickerel caught and the technique of under the gill grab was used...both were released within 30 seconds and basically floated at the top...Not dead...but possibly in shock. They both remained there for atleast 15 minutes. I question if this hurts them in someway. After that, i ditched that tatic and use a glove and hold them by the gut.

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:25 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links