What r pros n cons of flouro n braid? Thinking of putting flouro on 1 or 2 of my reels. I currently use braid.

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 pm

here's a few

fluoro

pros: less visible, abrasion resistant, little to no stretch, sinks
cons: memory / coiling issues, not great on spinning reels if you're doing a lot of casting and retrieving, need to keep checking line since any little cut or kink can = break off, some knots don't work well with it.

braid

pros: no stretch, strong, lasts a long time, floats, very strong and works well with most knots.
cons: visible, line diameter, not great for clear water unless you're using a leader.

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for info.I fish reservoirs on reg basis.Thinking the braid may have been affecting lure presentation due to higer visibality may try fluoro. If I don't like it use it for leaders. I like braid just don't like putting leaders on everything.

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Some addtl pointers:

If you plan on putting fluoro on a spinning reel, I wouldnt go any higher than 8lb. After that the coiling issues will drive you nuts unless you line butter the crap out of your line.

I've had good success tying fluoro leaders but only when I'm using 15lb fluoro and above. Ive snapped too many 12lb fluoro leaders. Some of that probably has to do with the brand and the knot and the rest with setting the hook like a jackass.

Speaking of brands, try a few out, pick what you like, and stick with it. I usually overpay for <10lb applications (sunline) and above that I usually just go with one of the Seaguar lines of fluoro.

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 pm

sunline super FC Sniper

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm

I used to use braid for everything. Now I just use it on my flipping stick. I use Fluoro on everything else except my spinning rod. I still use mono for that

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:18 am

Braid with flouro leaders are definetly the way to go. I use 12lb braid then tie on about 8ft of flouro. You need a decent amount because if the leader is too short and you set the hook hard on a slack line then the shock with snap your leader

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 am

I use 10lbs power pro! Some times with 10lbs floro!

I use a tiny spro swivel!!!! Gota check em out! Heavy test but super tiny!!!

If I'm fishin the res I'll add a short leader!
But if I'm fishing my local stained ponds I'll just use 10lvs braid!!!!

Love it for Texas rig and fiends jigging

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 am

kamilfishes

Braid with flouro leaders are definetly the way to go. I use 12lb braid then tie on about 8ft of flouro. You need a decent amount because if the leader is too short and you set the hook hard on a slack line then the shock with snap your leader

If that is a problem then maybe a mono leader would be better.

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am

badlarry

Thanks for info.I fish reservoirs on reg basis.Thinking the braid may have been affecting lure presentation due to higer visibality may try fluoro. If I don't like it use it for leaders. I like braid just don't like putting leaders on everything.

what the other members tell you about lower test flouro leaders with braid is spot on. they break too easy especially if short. I also do not like to use leaders but if I do I use mono or just plain mono on spinning reels..

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:51 am

that's why i don't like messing with leaders. too much of a hassle and too many possible points of failure. fluoro isn't cheap though.

i personally wouldn't use mono for the applications i would be using the leader because of its properties - stretch, floats, not as sensitive or abrasion resistant etc.

like for jigs...i go straight fluoro and don't really have problems breaking off on a jarring hookset which you usually need (don't use a palomar knot).

that's personal preference but some things to keep in mind.

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 pm

For the guys using 10 and 12lb braid, whats the reason behind it? It is not much stronger then the mono of floro you are using as leaders.

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 pm

If I'm using leaders at the chu with my 10lbs pp!
I use braid cuz it cast far out! With a leader cuz of the water clarity! At the res you need to get far and get deep fast!

Also! For finesse It's sensitive! But has the fun of using light line but with strength!

It's also super fun to use for stirpers!!!

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:25 pm

stratos1966

For the guys using 10 and 12lb braid, whats the reason behind it? It is not much stronger then the mono of floro you are using as leaders.

most 10-20lb braids max out 1.5x to 2x their rated breaking strength depending on the knot. not the same for mono or flouro. I use 10-15lb braid on spinning reels with no leader to toss small unweighted plastics and still have the ability to get them out of tough spots. I suppose baitcasting is a different story,

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:08 pm

The only real con with braid IMO is visibility in clear water, but find the white-colored Fireline crystal braid virtually eliminates that con. In stained or dirty water I'll stick with the green or black colored braid.

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links