I recently moved to Weymouth and so far I've been pretty disappointed in the action at Whitman's Pond. It is choked with weeds and the fishing pressure is immense. What other bodies of water in the area offer good fishing? I like Houghton's but again, the fishing pressure. Has anybody had any luck at Sunset, Weymouth Great Pond, or Accord Pond? Are there any good spots you'd be willing to share with me? Smile Thanks!!

Edit: If I'm asking for the moon I'd might as well be greedy...I prefer clear, cold water with rocky bottoms. Places like Spot Pond and White's Pond.

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Mostly mudholes around here. Great and Accord are off limits no fishing allowed. Houghtons is kind of what you asked for but is shore only and the bass seem to be to the left more than the right side of the pond.

Whitmans can be tough but it has herring and trout and deep water so it has all the needed stuff for some big fish. I b think it was Startos that said the weeds are your friend! I agree.

Are you on shore or on the water? Think top waters popers frogs buzzbait sub surface spinnerbait cranks and jerks out a buit deeper

Soft plastics usually yeild fish if patient enough.

PM me for more details at Whitmans.

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Try both ponds in Norris Reservation, the one out front is good but Damon's Pond off the trail is better- it's in Norwell. Also try Stetson Pond in Pembroke, decent access from shore near the ramp and Jacobs Pond ( the Jacobs Lane) access point is productive, just be prepared to venture down the trail and poke your head out to cast through narrow openings. All of these spots are best with weedless senkos and scum frog type lures for the warm weather.

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I've asked the same question recently. I agree the fishing is tough on s. shore. From the N. Shore, just moved down here and haven't found a go-to. I find there are tons of pickerel everywhere I go.

Here is what I've learned so far:
Jacobs - Weeds, and said best before, the access off Jacobs lane is congested and way over fished.

Lily pond in Cohasset - Looks like it could be good, but very limited access & tons of weeds

3A reservoir Scituate - Again looks promising & heard about trout, but nothing in terms of bass for me.

Whitmans - Shore access is heavily fished. Weeds everywhere, tough going.

Tried a few others with minimal luck. Really starting to miss the honey holes on the N. Shore.

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm

I do have a boat but for the most part I stick to the shore. Weeds are definitely your friends....to a certain extent. At some point it just chokes the water completely (see Pond Meadow Park.)

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 am

Yes Pond meadom is almost at swamp like conditions. But that said from a canoe/boat and a stiff pole with heavy line tied to a frog frog that place can be crazy.

Fishing from shore with lots of weeds can be tough but by staying on top or tossing soft plastics you will get them at Whitmans.

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

island creek in duxburry has good bass and pickerel...ive caught some good ones here...water was clear and gets choked with weeds at the only shore spot.........its a boat pond and its big and shallow...alot of crappies and perch.......damons point in marshfield is good to some nice bass and pickerel and big yellow perch...never taken a boat in here but its seems pretty deep over near the damn near marsh.........google maps is what i use to find pond to fish.....i live in marshfield and have a few honey holes.....

Last edited by bassturds on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 pm

i live in quincy. whitmans pond is disgusting. I took my niece there last night, between the weeds and geese s*** it isnt worth it. Although the pickerel get enourmous during ice fishing. If i were you i would get a surf caster and hit the back river for stripers. it has been pretty good this year

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

finnie

i live in quincy. whitmans pond is disgusting. I took my niece there last night, between the weeds and geese s*** it isnt worth it. Although the pickerel get enourmous during ice fishing. If i were you i would get a surf caster and hit the back river for stripers. it has been pretty good this year

I actually do have a surfcaster and have been meaning to hit the river. Do you fish from Webb, Stodders Neck or somewhere else? Pencil poppers, clams, chunk.....?

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am

The South Shore is NOT a mud hole by far, there are PLENTY of excellent places to fish in the South Shore/Plymouth County area. Here's a list of all the places I fish regularly in the South Shore.

-Jacob's Pond, Norwell MA
-Burrage Pond Reservation, Hanson/Halifax MA
-Stetson Pond, Pembroke MA
-Furnace Pond, Pembroke MA
-Factory Pond, Hanover MA
-Luddams Ford, Hanover MA
-Oldham Pond, Pembroke MA
-Long Pond, Plymouth MA
-Little Long Pond, Plymouth MA
-Halfway Pond, Plymouth MA
-Hackett's Pond, Hanover MA
-Monponsett Twin Lakes, Halifax MA
-Robbins Pond, East Bridgewater MA
-Fearing Pond, Plymouth MA (inside Myles Standish State Park)

and honestly this is just a few of the NAMED places I've been, nvm the small little farm ponds, bog ponds, and mill ponds scattered everywhere around. The South Shore has some excellent fishing, along with Bristol County and the Cape. Just have to know where, talking to people definitely helps find hidden hot spots as well. Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Also feel free to join the group I just created for Eastern MA anglers. Who fish Salt and Fresh in the South Shore, North Shore, Bristol County, and Cape Cod areas. Hoping to get it pretty hopping, for location discussion, trips, hot spots, tactics etc. Especially o people who are new to fishing, or new to the area can get acquainted with it!

Eastern Mass Bassholes is the group btw! Good luck guys, and tight lines around!

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links