Since NHfishfinder board is pretty much dead, I will post my question here to see if anyone fished there before. How's the fishing there? Do you like it?

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am

BIG smallies. You can average 4lbs a fish in the spring. Tough to fish in the summer. The water in GIN clear and the fish go DEEP. If I was going to NH and wanted the biggest smallies. I would go to Newfound.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

I fish there a few times every summer. It is very challenging. The best bite is dawn and dusk. There is good structure around Mayhew island if you can get there. If you're stuck on shore, expect about 1-2 bass per day. But the lake has other treasures, like lakers and broodstock salmon.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks,I will tow my boat there as soon as this week. I heard summer is not good.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am

willy68

Thanks,I will tow my boat there as soon as this week. I heard summer is not good.

Don't get me wrong. You can catch them in summer. It's just video game fishing. get on the TM, look at the electronics, see a fish, drop down on it with a drop shot. reel in, repete.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 am

hey willy, funny you posted this cause ill be up there this weekend and itll be my first time ever fishing there. my buddy has a house right on the water there. apparently there are some big smallies there according to him. ill let you know how I do this weekend up there. im planning on fishing all day Saturday and a couple hours on sunday as well

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

My favorite NH lake. Big Smallies, no Largemouth. Worked too hard to give up my spots, sorry Good luck!

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am

yea I was kindve disappointed to see that there was no largemouth in this lake but that's alright as long as there are some smallmouth hogs. but haha its alright since ill be fishing for so long on Saturday I hope Ill find some nice spots

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

stratos1966

BIG smallies. You can average 4lbs a fish in the spring. Tough to fish in the summer. The water in GIN clear and the fish go DEEP. If I was going to NH and wanted the biggest smallies. I would go to Newfound.

agreed. i've been there during the pre-spawn / spawn when they were shallower. the average smallie was about 3.5 - 3.75 lbs.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 am

I did some research. According tournament data gathered by NH fishery dept, Newfound has the heaviest average smallmouth bass in NH. If I remember correctly, the average is about 2.75 LB, definitely below 3.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

OK maybe a 4lb average was a little over zealous, but if you target only big fish by fishing a little deeper you will catch a limit of 4's or at least you used to be able to last time I was there 10 years ago.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am

the ones i caught were well over 3. i weighed every single one that was potentially 3+. i caught a few in the 2 range but the average was about 3.5 so rich is not far off at all. they're big in there.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm

willy the back side (north side) of mayhew island has always been productive. it is a great fishery.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the soup I got from here.  Very Happy

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm

I've only fished there a couple of times. But I love that lake.

I haven't done serious fishing but I have caught a couple of 2-3 lbsers.

Last July I was at Wellington state park beach.
We were smoking the 2lbser right off the beach.
Of course not In the swimming area tho. But it was off the beach.

Last June. We were going on the boat. We pushed off the beach. Before we started the engine I saw a big smallie cruising right in front of us.
Pitched a tube jig. He nailed it. 2.5 lbser.

I've only fished Wellington area!
There's some nice ledges. With some big rocks. With a shallow point to the left of the rocky ledge.

The 2 smaller islands arnt bad for smallies. My buddies have caught some nice ones there.

WARNING! STAY OUT OF THE WEEDY COVE. North west cove.
All pickerel. It's shallow and muddy

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links