Does anyone know what part of the spawn the bass are in? and if the time is right where around is good bed fishing ponds/lakes?

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Right now bass arn't even close to pre spawn. Largemouth spawn at about 63 deg to 68 deg. Smallmouth spawn at 55 deg to 60 deg.

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Will your probably looking somewhere around mid March for spawn.

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Up the northern part of the state an out west it will be later than down where I am in the south shore an the cape. Just colder weather. Alot of ponds down Plymouth an the Cape were lucky to even have a week or two of ice fishing. Cape did freeze over but some years that doesnt even happen. Another thind to remember is the smaller ponds will have spawn first cus it will heat up quicker.

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm

when the water temperature ranges from 55 to 62 degrees F. Bass move into the shallow waters, actively feed, and are particularly vulnerable to angling. Towards the end of the pre-spawn every bass in a body of water will be in the shallows and foraging.
Following this period, in the actual spawning season, fishing success drops off quickly. Male bass begin selecting and constructing nest sites when the water temperature reaches 60 degrees F. Bass are solitary, reclusive spawners, so don't expect to catch several at one locaton; individual nests are usually at least 35 feet apart. The females approach the nest only to engage in the act of spawning. Males are extraordinarily busy during this period, guarding the nest from all intruders and keeping the eggs free of silt. They guard the nest for a 10- to 14-day period while the eggs incubate and hatch. Males continue to protect the larvae for an additional 3 to 4 weeks as the fry feed on plankton in shallow waters. The male does not forage during this entire spawn and post-spawn period.

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:31 am

All of your information is incredable,thank you guys. Thats what makes this such a valuable websight.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Went to one of my ponds today. Male smallies are real busy right now!!! Cruising beds in anywhere from 6 to 10 ft deep. They're getting there nests allset. Saw well over a 100 fish mostly in the 2lb to 3lb range. They didn't want anything to do with any lure we threw. I think they got other things on there mind . That means the water temps getting close to 53 to 55 where smallies do there thing. Largemouth will be right behind them i bet in the nxt few week. Remember this is in my part of Ma. Up north and out west is probably a lill behind.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links