how come we dont have spotted bass in MA??? or at least new england???

ive heard they get them in NY

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am

I could be wrong but I thought most of the bass I was catching were spots.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 am

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

We do not have spotted bass in the north. You can maybe find some as north as Ohio, but I haven't heard of them any further North. They have been stocked out in California and have done quite well out there.

They are completely different fish than a largemouth bass, except for their looks.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 am

shawneramone

nope. what thelucky said.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 am

samf

shawneramone

nope. what thelucky said.

you guys are wicked smaht. I should have read a little before I posted that.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am

I forget how to tell them a part? I think the largemouth's mouth extends past the eye and not in the spot.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm

they do look different. thinner lateral line with darker "spots" and they're usually a lot fatter. i think you're right about the mouth. it's like a smallie largemouth almost.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

On line it said they can not tolerate extreme cold!

But since the cape doesn't get brutally cold I think the could live out there

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 pm

they have a spot on their tongue. They fish identical to largemouth/smallmouth at times, but stronger! Usually school or grouped together. My good buddy Ryan Coleman is probably the top spotted bass guide in Georgia, fishes mainly lake Lanier. Ive been lucky enough to fish with him many times, including winter tourneys, as well as other seasons of the year. Spring jig bite, summer/fall topwater & dropshot, early spring jerk bait, winter vertical jigging, standing timber, brush piles, rocky points, wind blown red clay banks, all great spotted bass techniques. Check out his great jig heads at Spot Remover Jigs. Perfect jig heads for shaky heads, grubbs, tubes, creatures, etc. If you ever want to catch Spots, Id suggest Lanier as the best lake in the country!! Wish they lived here, they are a blast to catch! Not sure why they don't ?? They fish well in the winter when temps get into 30's & 40's. Lanier gets ice almost every year, not long, but weather is a lot like here.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I should have brought some back when I moved back from Alabama. Best fighting freshwater bass lb or lb in my opinion. Coosa/Warrior/Alabama river spots were the bomb!!!

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:57 pm

I caught this and many of his friends on Lake Jordan AL last Dec 24th. I took a guide out on the lake and basically threw a Storm swimbait all day. We tried other baits but that was the trick. The Coosa River Spot is as advertised.

And for schooling up, these things are classic. We hit two spots that day that were loaded. We had other guys that showed up on around our spots but once you found the spot on the spot, it was the only place you could catch them. We caught a number of Hybrid bass that day too.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:33 pm

You do not want spotted bass in any of the lakes up here. Especially witht he size of the lakes up here. It wouldn't take long for them to create havoc on the fish populations.

Before the introduction of spotted bass to Lanier the lake was a largemouth heaven. It even had a nice population of small mouth bass. Sometime in the 70's the spotted bass started to take over. They wiped out the small mouth polpulation all together. The largemouth population went into a huge decline. The spotted bass compete with largemouths for food and stomping grounds and win everytime.

Lake Blue Ridge just north of Lanier was a trophy lake for small mouths at one time. Once spots were introduced and took over the population was all but wiped out. It is finally coming back due to stocking and a mass effort by anglers to keep all the spotted bass they caught.

Spots have a tooth patch on their tongues. Also the dorsal fins are attached. Their mouth is considerable smaller and the head has a different shape. The fish only look similar to largemouths under 8"-10". Once they are larger they are very easy to distinguish.

Coosa spots are differernt then kentucky strain spotted bass. There has been talk about labeling an different species but nothing has been done as of yet. Coose spots fish a lot more like largemouths then kentucky's do. They are definitely stronger since they are a river breed of spots and most of the lakes they are found in still have a considerable current.

If you have never had a chance to fish for spots you are missing out. It can be wild at times in the spring. They school by the hundreds and the action is amazing. I can remember taking a fluke and just tossing it over the side 5 feet from the boat and catching fish when the action is right.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Twis is what a 4lb + Lanier spot in February looks like. Swallowed a softball.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

if they take a place over...well then they should be introduced to wallum for sure.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links