So I was out is Spy Pond Arlington today, my first trip out of the year, for family reasons, and I saw a guy catch a big "pickerel" like fish. We were both in kayaks, and I caught up with him later, and he indeed confirmed that he thought it was a pickerel. He showed me the grub that was bitten clear in half... But I have never seen a pickerel in Spy Pond before. However, I understand that it has been stocked with tiger musky fingerlings, at least in the past. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a pickerel there, or if maybe this guy might have actually caught a tiger musky?

It was off the west shore of the island...

Cheers,

Kevin

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 pm

I've caught a few pickerel in there. I think they stocked tiger musky fingerlings in there a long time ago. I don't think they took to the pond, never heard of anyone catching one there. How was the fishing there? Last year i went and they poisoned all the weeds in that lake and put up signs that you shouldn't be near the water basically...and then we never caught another fish there...

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 am

Has anyone caught or heard of carp being caught out of there? I heard they're there but I haven't heard of anyone actually landing one out of there.

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm

There are huge carp in Spy pond. yes people catch them.

There is also a odd tiger muskie still around as well. I saw pics of one last year caught at Spy.

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I've never seen pickerel in Spy, and I have actually heard more reports of "tiger musky" there. However, if there are pickerel in there, I'm suspecting this might have been one. A damn big one, though, at least from a distance!

That said, the bass fishing, at least for the 90 minutes I was out, seemed pretty good. I caught a couple of healthy fish, lost one, and saw many, many more cruising around through the clear water.

Bullshark, carp are one species I saw absolutely no sign of on this trip, which is unusual because I normally would see huge carp rolling on the surface, jumping, or foraging in the reeds (which are now dead) in Spy. Not sure I can say the carp fared the weed purge as well as the bass. I'll look for them if I go out there again...

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Haven't seen pickerel in there. I know there are tiger musky in spy pond. I caught one through the ice this past January (ice fishing). I caught it on a pike shiner on a tip up. I was facing rt 2 right off the island. There are weed beds there. The musky was a good size 31". took a picture and released it back. There are musky in there.

Posted Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 pm

heading out this week on spy pond...will let u guys know whats up

Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any water that didn't have at least some pickerel

Posted Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 am

Spy Pond's been dead for me this year -- one small bass in five trips. Last year at this time I was hitting bass there pretty consistently. Never caught anything there but bass. I was talking to an old-timer who said he did catch a tiger muskie there a few years back, so who knows?

Posted Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:33 pm

acuteangler

Spy Pond's been dead for me this year -- one small bass in five trips. Last year at this time I was hitting bass there pretty consistently. Never caught anything there but bass. I was talking to an old-timer who said he did catch a tiger muskie there a few years back, so who knows?

Spy's been slow this summer, but I had good luck there today. They are very active now, once you find them...

Posted Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:22 pm

cyclopropene

acuteangler

Spy's been slow this summer, but I had good luck there today. They are very active now, once you find them...

nice catch...where did u fish at on the pond? in a boat? i went out took a right from the boat ramp and worked my way out and caught a few bass but nothing big...tryin to find the big boys and where there hiding..

Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm

bossofbosses

nice catch...where did u fish at on the pond? in a boat? i went out took a right from the boat ramp and worked my way out and caught a few bass but nothing big...tryin to find the big boys and where there hiding..

I fished from a kayak. Spy is tough these days, the good spots are hard to find after the weed control measures. In fact, while I was out this time I bumped into some guys who said they hadn't gotten a bite all day, even though I caught well over a dozen... I'd recommend a pair of polarized glasses and a few hours to look around, since the water is reasonably clear. If you find the baitfish, you'll find the bass, and when you find the bass, stick around, because you'll find more. PM me for more details...

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm

bam

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any water that didn't have at least some pickerel

bingo

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:46 pm

daiello40

Haven't seen pickerel in there. I know there are tiger musky in spy pond. I caught one through the ice this past January (ice fishing). I caught it on a pike shiner on a tip up. I was facing rt 2 right off the island. There are weed beds there. The musky was a good size 31". took a picture and released it back. There are musky in there.

I have not caught any pickerel in spy pond means that I have not seen any / Of course there in their. I only Caught Bass and Muskie through the ice so I know there are good size Muskies.

Posted Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links