Always used spiderwire mono. just wondering if anybody uses flurocarbon. just bought spiderwire ultracast fluro. tryin to figure out pros and cons on this stuff. like is it a DIFFRENT hook set than mono do i have to wait a extra second. any help would be great

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:32 am

HI nofx99,
Flouro has no stretch and sinks. You get more sensitivity from flouro witch can be great. Flouro also has a lot of memory and i hear you need to re-spool often because it will coil. You also shouldn't fish top water with it because it hurts the action of the lure.
What i have been doing is using braid with a 3-6 ft flouro leader. Way cheaper to just keep adding leader material than re spooling. Then if you don't have a specific top water rod you can cut the leader and use braid. That is some of the info on flouro.I heard when deep sea fishing for cod ect. Mono is better?
I'm sure there is more characteristics but i hope this helps.
Good luck
J

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 am

Thank you for the info very helpful jimmy

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:01 pm

I was fishing with 30lb Spiderwire EZ-braid on my baicasting reel... but was very disappointed with it's abrasion resistance, getting bitten off several times from not-so-big chain pickerel, which, surprisingly, never happened with mono!

I recently got a new baitcaster so I decided to try fluoro - I chose 12lb Vicious 100% fluorocarbon. I LOVE it! It's very sensitive, abit stiffer than mono, but not so much as to bother you or anything - and I have NEVER gotten broken/bitten off, even when hopelessly wrapped up in lily pad stems, forcing me to wade into the water to get my fish! It's strength and abrasion resistance is awesome.

I'm not sure if I would use it on spinning reels... it does have some stiffness, but I have not tried the lighter pound tests, so they may be more supple, but again, this is the only brand of fluoro I have tried so far. And like the other poster said, fluoro does sink, so it's not ideal for topwater baits, but for everything else, I'd say it's great. For now, I am still using mono on my spinning reels.

I have not yet given up on braid - I'd like to try Power Pro(this line company is actually owned by Shimano, one of the BIG dogs in rods & reels) - but I will NOT use Spiderwire EZ-braid ever again.

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:04 pm

IMO go with power pro braid. amazing. hands down. it was just 50% off at dicks or something like that. i picked up another spool. i actually go with the best of both worlds and usually use P Line Fluoroclear. it's fluro coated copolymer so you get invisibility, almost 0 memory, abrasion resistance, strength, better casting, and it's not as stiff. i'm all in for these 2 and will probably try out 100% fluoro soon but i really haven't had a need yet.

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Fluoro is very nice in clear water, or around rocks and brush. It's low stretch, so it's nice and sensitive as well. I typically use it for soft plastics, jigs, drop-shotting, and deep-running cranks when I need the extra depth. I tend to use it for lipless crankbaits as well. It's kind of a pain since it's stiffer so it's not that well-suited for spinning reels. If you have faith in your line-to-line knots, use a fluoro leader whenever conditions ask for it but you don't have a bunch of spare spools sitting around.

Mono can't be beat for topwater and regular crankbait fishing. Any lure where you're worried the fish might throw it too easy, the extra stretch is great. If you need maximum sensitivity and/or solid hooksets with little stretch, use something else.

Ultimately, you can use just about any line for any task. Some are just more suited than others. I am a big fluoro fan, but it's not always necessary. Whatever you have confidence in will do the trick!

Posted Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I started using flouro last year and I love it. It does have limitations. It is awful for topwater. The sinking property just throws off the action. I love the flouro when jigging or using worms or a shakey heads around rocks. It is very abrasion resistant. It has its place. I see it as another tool for the aresenal.

My basic rule of thumb is:

Braid- fishing heavy weeds and scum frogs

mono- topwater

flouro- most everything else

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links