just bought a 10' jon boat today and the tag says max weight is 400 pounds. is that totaly true or can i safely go over that number?

thanks

Posted Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm

This a quote from another site (http://www.outdoorplaces.com/Features/Paddle/pickcanoe/newcanoe4.htm) which gives a good description of every detail of a canoe, while not the same it is close enough.

Capacity: The capacity of the canoe is typically rated in the number of pounds of weight it can carry. As you add weight to your canoe, it will sit deeper in the water. Most of the capacity of the canoe is borne at the center, as this is the widest part of the canoe, and has the most displacement in the water. A good capacity for a solo canoe is 400 to 500 lbs., while a good touring canoe should have at least 1,000 lbs. of capacity. This of course is also dictated by your size. If you are large framed and tall, you will need a higher capacity canoe if you plan to bring a friend along. There have been plenty of stories of two friends who want to canoe, but due to their height and build, are to heavy for a tandem canoe.

Another good rule of thumb is you should never load your canoe to capacity. The capacity rating assume ideal conditions, if you have 1,000 lbs. in your 1,080 lb. rated touring canoe, and get caught in a thunderstorm in open water, you may not have enough hull depth to keep from getting swamped. You should leave 20% of your capacity as a pad when loading your canoe.

I have found that once I near the limit of the capacity on my 12 aluminum canoe it will not, under normal conditions, sink the craft...but it handles poorly and feels awkward. It feels much less stable and much lower in the water. Personally with the changes in weather that can happen, the wind we have been having this year so far and various other reasons, wouldn't stack my canoe to or over capacity. As far as safety goes, well the rating is there for a reason. Sure you can go over it and not sink, right away but you get a big wake from another boat or a big wind, sudden rain etc and down down down you could go.

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 am

you have to be careful of course but my experience tells me the weight rating is kind of like the old horsepower rating on an engine usually rated far lower than it can comfortably handle depending on the water conditions at any given time

Posted Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:45 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links