bigtuna

Yeah, I haven't ever used a baitcaster & have so little fishing time that the last thing I want to deal with is learning a new reel along with everything else.

But, I'm 99% settled on the MH 7' suggestion for heavier cranks & softbaits. In terms of species, I am feeling more like bass & bigger vs. smaller (ove the past few days, pike have become way more intriguing to me than trout) so the MH makes sense.

Thanks to all!

-G

I like this option that you narrowed down to. My primary rod is an ugly stick (6ft M), that I have had for many many moons. From what I have witnessed if an ugly stick lasts its first week, it will last for many years to come.

As far as your new found intrigue in Pike, you couldn't have picked a better time of year than now to start. A bunch of us on the site have had amazing success with pike on the Concord River. I caught my very first one today. People have been successful with the following:
spinnerbaits (medium to large)
spinners (not sure what size but have seen people succeed with the medium ones but I would recommend the larger ones (i.e. Aglia's #4 or #5, (1/2 oz to 1 oz) )
Rubber Woms (Big ones, I caught my 2 pike today on 10 inch rubber worms)

I strongly recommend trying out the Concord River for pike, early in the morn or late in the afternoon/early evening. Its somewhat close to Boston (about a 30 min ride to the Concord area of the river) and a canoe would def be a good thing, although fishing from shore is good although somewhat limited.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 pm

If you are definetally set on going after some trout this fall, then my suggestion would be to get two new rods. The reason being is, a nice trout set up is typically a small, ultra-light spinning set-up, that is pretty much only going to be useful in trout fishing. You don't really need anything ultra fancy either. I have seen many quality, ultra light spinning combos for $20 at Dicks and Bass Pro Shops that work great for a trout rig. Then you will be all set to go after those trout. Then you put together a rod that can be geared for multipurpose big game applications. I would suggest getting a baitcaster. Once you learn how to use it and are comfortable with it, you will realize the different situations where a baitcaster is supperior to a spinning rod, and vice versa. Then you will have the best of both worlds. I have just recently increased my rod collection to 4. And you are right, it is so much easier to have multi-settups all tied up and ready to go.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Pulled trigger on the 6'6" MH (1/4-1oz) and am psyched to have another rig & also be able to throw some bigger baits & jigs. One thing's for certain, though, this won't be my last rod!!! To be continued...

Thanks everyone!

-G

Posted Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 pm

bigtuna

this won't be my last rod!!! To be continued...

Welcome to the club...my collection tripled last year, haha.

Posted Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Don't forget to stock up on some wire leaders otherwise they're gonna break off on you all the time.

Posted Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I too picked up a new rod from Dick's. I feel like I went the cheap route but, its the end of the season for me. If I get threw the fall with it I'll be happy. Also I'm looking to add to my collection next spring. BPS has their spring sale every year, I'll spurge then Wink So, I found a Field & Stream Angler series IM7 regular price $50 got it for $20 Smile . I bought it more for the size & action. Its 6'6" med/heavy 10-20 lb line that can throw 1/4 oz to 1 oz. lures, which is exactly what I was looking for.
Lets see how it works out!

Posted Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links