Hello,

I'm looking to do some ice fishing for the first time this year. I'm looking for some guidance as to what gear I need, possible locations to try and even meeting up with seasoned ice fishermen for some outings.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm

jsinher3

Hello,

I'm looking to do some ice fishing for the first time this year. I'm looking for some guidance as to what gear I need, possible locations to try and even meeting up with seasoned ice fishermen for some outings.

Thanks in advance.

Been a long time since I've been out on the ice. I've actually been dying to get back into it. Equipment can be as simple as a 5 gal bucket to carry your s*** in or as complex as a sled or box with skis (my preferred way to transport across the ice). Division of fisheries allows up to 5 traps per person. An Ice Auger is a good purchase too. I've always used chubs for bait because they were pretty hardy and can last a long time. Don't know if you can still get them. Shiners work too. Of course warm clothing (dress in layers), ice cleats help when chasing flags too. When i used to go out it was an all day thing. On the Ice at the crack of dawn setting up, off at dusk. I used to go with a group and we would set up a wind break and camp kitchen, hot soup, coffee, hot chocolate or a big pot of chili one of the girlfriends or wives made. People would come and go all day. Plenty of beers, booze and bones (I was a young fellah back then) Laughing
Its a lot more fun going with a group. If you're down i would definitely be interested in joining up. Maybe get a few more guys to join in.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Don't forget a chisel for checking ice thickness and picks to pull yourself out if need be. Other useful safety items include rope, pfd, cleats. As for the fishing, use the chisel or auger (easier) to make your holes and bait your tip-ups (5 max per person). At this point you'll have to go to north central Mass, western Mass or out of state to increase your odds of finding fishable ice.

One time the baitshop threw in some chubbs with my shiners and I agree, they kept swimming all day even after taking a beating!

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Chisel and strainer for keeping the holes cleared without getting your hands wet, I haven't ice fished in a long time and have no intension of doing it anytime soon but look foward to pics and catches of those that do. Couple friends of mine went to the Bershires last wee caught 3 bass and a bunch of pickerel and perch they had a blast...

Posted Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links