Hey guys, I'm about thru w/my first season on a used 14' plastic canoe with a sitbacker seat. It's ok. What do you folks out there that have kayaks think about the benefits of a kayak over a canoe and vice versa? I'm thinking about a kayak instead but just not sure if it would be better. The wind is generally driving me nuts when I fish from the canoe, comfort wise it is ok but feels like I'm on a pivot just spinning around, and that is even with a drift sock. Do you experiencce this same issue w/a kayak? Would a troll motor make that big of a difference regarding control or would the $200 investment be best spent on a kayak. Your thoughts?
thanks,
Jay

Posted Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Wind is going to be an issue no matter what. I fish from a kayak a lot, and usually just drift along with it. I have a small anchor that works decently well, but still get that pivot feeling a little here and there. Sometimes I'll park it some lily pads and that will hold me fairly still for awhile. I like the kayak because its real light and I can carry it pretty far if I want to (sometimes I fish a spot that requires about a 1/2 mile hike). I drive a small car too, so it fits perfectly.

Kayaks sit real low in the water though, so you won't have as good view of the water/cover, and you'll probably have to pull over and stretch every once in awhile. They're pretty comfortable for most of the day though.

If you had a trolling motor, that would help you with the wind a lot, just make sure your battery has enough juice, or you'll end up paddling anyways!

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links