Well I will admit that the big pickerel tasted pretty good, we had 6 pickerel, one rainbow and a perch cooked a couple different ways, conversation was great. The little bones were annoying but we made it through. Lyndsay See you on the ice

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Nothing like fresh fish!

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 am

Did you fry the pickerel? I've been thinking of keeping a few this year, but haven't done so yet. How did you make your batter?

And I agree with Mark...can't beat fresh fish!

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 am

My Mom is quite a cook, she broiled three whole pickerel seasoning olive oil rub, fresh lemon and panko, we filleted a couple dipped in milk flour, lemon and panko those got baked topped of with deer meat, my mom won't touch. we have yet to fry it, looking for a way to remove backbone without tearing the meat. The pickerel meat was quite interesting texture like chicken, i'm not much of a fish eater but Dad says you catch it you eat it hehe. the weekend is here Lyndsay see you on the ice

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

Sunday is going to be ten below zero !!! to cold for me!!!

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 am

Hey Mark, what are you some kind of fairweather fisherman??

Lyndsay, sounds good...I'll have to try that sometime.

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Ten below!! Good weather for make'n ice, my freezer aint that cold!!
guess i'm getin to $%#$old!!!

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Haha, I'll be at Harold Parker on Sunday. Think of me when your sitting in your chair next to the wood stove, watching a football game!!

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 pm

lyndsay

My Mom is quite a cook, she broiled three whole pickerel seasoning olive oil rub, fresh lemon and panko, we filleted a couple dipped in milk flour, lemon and panko those got baked topped of with deer meat, my mom won't touch. we have yet to fry it, looking for a way to remove backbone without tearing the meat. The pickerel meat was quite interesting texture like chicken, i'm not much of a fish eater but Dad says you catch it you eat it hehe. the weekend is here Lyndsay see you on the ice

I'm not a big fish eater either but pickerel is really good - especially for all the flak it gets as a game fish. There are videos online for ways to get that y bone out cleanly. I can't do it but practice makes perfect!

When I cook fish I usually steam it with some soy sauce and Ginger and scallions for abt ten minutes. After its done steaming I throw some more fresh scallions on top and pour on a couple tablespoons of hot vegetable oil. I love it!

Posted Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links