Anybody know of any good spots in or around Marlborough? Is Williams Lake off of 495 any good? I don't have a boat so shore access is a must. Thanks.

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Don't fish the area much, but have heard a lot of good reports from the Wachusett Res...and you can only shore fish there. Lots of big trout and smallmouth...a few state records came from there, might be worth the trip out...

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Well I moved here about 2 years ago..last year i got my girl into fishing and she loves it so I brought her down to the lake by Piccadilly pub on 85 heading towards Hudson just before you get to walmart. That's got some decent fish and its both boat and shore...nice place to wade in the summer. Caught a couple nice 2+lbers out of it.

Now I go mostly to the Wachusett res for them Laker Trout and Smallies.The Main Body id huge and I've put some miles on trying to find all the good spots. I got some good info already but I'm sure there is so much more to learn. There are plenty of area's with LMB as well but those are more up past the old stone church on 140. that tributary also turns into a nice trout river i see a lot of fly fisherman out there.

You also have the Sudbury res and that can be seen in one of my posted trips. Easy access and nice coves. Thats on 85 heading to Framingham. there is a soccer field you can see it on google on my trip where you can park and there is access to all kinds of different locations.

Word to the wise...Heavy off at Sudbury Res. The place just seems to be a tick farm. Anytime I don't put it on I find em..but as long as I spray they stay away. Very Happy

Sophist

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 pm

I live in Marlborough and mostly fish the Sudbury Resevoir. Lots of great shore access(It's actually shore fishing only), especially if you take the time to walk all the way around it.

I gotta agree on the tick thing though. My daughter has had two ticks in the past month, I've had one, and I've found numerous on my clothes. Seriously tick central.

That being said, I've caught some good size fish there.

Here's a 3lb'er I caught last summer

Beyond that I sometimes head over to Heards Pond in Sudbury, Fort Meadow next to the Picky and just started checking out Lake Boon over in Stow/Hudson. I really gotta head over the Wachusett one of the these days.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like the Sud Res it the place to be. Have you had luck with Senkos, spinners, jigs....? I'm going with a friend who doesn't fish much at all so I'm more into quantity than quality.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 am

I find with crankbait I can catch alot but only little stipped bass or sunfish. Most of the big ones (LMB, etc) I catch are with soft plastic worms. A lot of that has to do with certain areas can be very weedy so the weedless rigged worms work well.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links