I just want to add, i have caught plenty of carp in the current, don't be afraid to fish in current, especially if you are using 3 ounce sinkers!
Also, bolt rigs work well near rocks and structure but on a muddy bottom with few snags like the charles, forget the bolt rig and heavy sinkers in favor of lighter weights and treble hooks i never use anymore, one too many horrible hook ups and cats can find a way to get hooked with all 3 hooks, what a mess. Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm

sd2

I just want to add, i have caught plenty of carp in the current, don't be afraid to fish in current, especially if you are using 3 ounce sinkers!
Also, bolt rigs work well near rocks and structure but on a muddy bottom with few snags like the charles, forget the bolt rig and heavy sinkers in favor of lighter weights and treble hooks i never use anymore, one too many horrible hook ups and cats can find a way to get hooked with all 3 hooks, what a mess. Rolling Eyes

Agreed..trebles are an old practice and a great one for catch and eat..they are not meant for catch and release.

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 am

Three tonight - 7, 10 and 13 lbs. This was my first time catching when using method balls, and my fish caught on corn. And the one that got away would have been a personal best. Crying or Very sad

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 pm

markb

Three tonight - 7, 10 and 13 lbs. This was my first time catching when using method balls, and my fish caught on corn. And the one that got away would have been a personal best. Crying or Very sad

Nice job Mark, a 13 in the charles is good, i have caught them in the charles up to 16 plus and seen them up to low 20's but very rare and i heard stories of 30's but i think that's a myth.

On average a 10 to 14 lb. carp is what i mostly get, i go to the merrimack for bigger ones.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 pm

My first fish of the night was definitely bigger than 13 lbs. It ran to the other side of the river - about 80-90 yards, and then the line went slack. I thought it had broken off the line, and started reeling in the slack. Halfway back, I suddenly felt the sinker again. I think it had doubled back towards me, and shook off the hook. Based on the run, I'd estimate 15-20 lbs. There's plenty of water between Newton and Needham dams for carp to feed and grow.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:23 pm

markb

My first fish of the night was definitely bigger than 13 lbs. It ran to the other side of the river - about 80-90 yards, and then the line went slack. I thought it had broken off the line, and started reeling in the slack. Halfway back, I suddenly felt the sinker again. I think it had doubled back towards me, and shook off the hook. Based on the run, I'd estimate 15-20 lbs. There's plenty of water between Newton and Needham dams for carp to feed and grow.

Sounds like you had a good one. I have had that happen a few times, sometimes they run right at you, you think it's off but no, just reel like crazy next time it may still be on.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links