Huge thanks to blackstone carp and his simple boilie recipie!

Last sunday I landed my first carp EVER! yes, EVER!

he was only about 12" long and probably no more than 2 lbs, but its still my first. Rest of the day didn't go so well without even a run!

So here is a question, I can see carp ALL over the place in these 2 small ponds in methuen. They swim all over the top of my bait but don't seem to pay much attention. I am thinking the mucky/leafy bottom obscures the brown boilie and they don't pay much attention. Is there anything I can add to the mix to make them more colorful and won't mess up the taste too much. I know its going to be hard to color something thats brown, but its just a thought/question.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Haha awesome!

Yeah it is really tough to color these, I've tried, trust me. However carp have really good eye sight, and a very keen sense of smell/taste. That said they should be able to find your small brown bait even if the water was entirely murky. Did you notice if they were feeding at all? Like sniffing through the leaves etc or were they just kinda hanging out cruising near the top?

If they were just cruising, especially lately they could have just been basking in the heat and not been feeding much. You can get them more interested by chumming a few free boilies out there, or some sweet corn...by getting them feeding confidently around your hook, it just becomes a matter of time before..zzzzzzzzzz! This isn't an end all be all..weather and such play a big part in what they are doing, but it is a good general tactic. For a new water I would send a handful of boilies or corn out, then toss my hook into the same spot. This will usually get you into something, though it may still take time.

What ponds in Methuen? Maybe We can get together sometime soon and hit em up and see if we can't get em going. Share a few things as well.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Both hills pond and bare meadow pond. Especially bare meadow, I can see them churning up the bottom all over the place. And I swear I see one atleast 2 feet long! Lots of ones just barley smaller (15-20 total that I could see on that side of the pond)

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Interesting. I must be blind. I see where Hills pond is, I also see Bare Meadow brook/street etc but no pond. Is it the weedy looking one below/near Hills?

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Did some reading around the net. Seems I might try a kernel of corn right after the boilie on the hair for a bit of color.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm

blackstonecarp

Interesting. I must be blind. I see where Hills pond is, I also see Bare Meadow brook/street etc but no pond. Is it the weedy looking one below/near Hills?

Yep, that's bare meadow. That's all lilly pads you see. They are usually cruising around the edges of the pads.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Awesome..really wouldn't mind fishing either of those ponds. You'll have to let me know when you have some free time!

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Most sundays and mondays!

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links