Hey Everyone, I know that people can catch striped bass out of the mouth of the merrimack river, but does anybody know how far the stripers can travel down the river ? I thought there was a dam somewhere, that seperates the water, but I'm not to sure. I was just wondering, if it would be possible to catch a striper in the part of the river, where it goes into chelmsford. Although that part is freshwater, but I have caught a striper in the malden river, where saltwater, was quite a ways down the river. Any information, would be appreciated. Thank You Very Happy

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Stripers can survive in Freshwaters in fact they are bred and stocked into lakes in some places where they actaully do well.

I do not know if they run where you are talking about, but freshwater is should not stop them from being there.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:23 pm

They usually travel up rivers to chase herring which are moving in to spawn. They'll be able to get as far as the first dam. Go to google maps or bing.com and use the "satellite" option and trace the mouth to the first dam, easily spotted by the rapids created.

I know in the charles river, its the watertown dam.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:44 pm

riverrat82

http://www.aquariussportfishing.com/striper.htm

good read, i guess they spwan in freshwater rivers too Cool

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm

this artical explains that there is a MAJOR spawning ground at the base of The Hudson(ya might ask Ted about that area) more importantly for you...it does mention activity in of all places The Merrimack River)-click it and check it out for your self.
----my best friend and I just discussed stripers in the Ct River...claims are they've been bagged at Munn's Ferry---A WHOLE HELL OF A LONG WAY up in that river.. . . .

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:52 pm

i think the furthest they can go is the lawrence dam

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Fished an ABA tournament about 3 years ago, might have been 4, on the merrimack in LOWELL caught a 7 lb striper, scared the hell out of me, fought it for about 10 minutes, thought i was gonna win big fish, but turned out it was just another snag, like a pickerel would be.....still was fun and a nice fish.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:24 pm

riverrat82

this artical explains that there is a MAJOR spawning ground at the base of The Hudson(ya might ask Ted about that area) more importantly for you...it does mention activity in of all places The Merrimack River)-click it and check it out for your self.
----my best friend and I just discussed stripers in the Ct River...claims are they've been bagged at Munn's Ferry---A WHOLE HELL OF A LONG WAY up in that river.. . . .

We used to catch some big stripers all the way up to the Troy Dam on the Hudson River, which is about 3 hours drive north of saltwater...haven't done it too many times, but I don't think there were any dams between Troy and NYC. Caught most on herring, which actually run all the way up the Mohawk River, meaning they have to go up past the Troy the dam and then travel west into another major river. There was a lock about 5 minutes from where I grew up in Schenectady, and we used to catch 40-50 herring in an evening easily.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links