Today me and some friends went to the squannacook, and had pretty good luck. Between us 5 we caught 15 rainbows. All the rainbows were grayish, and had a dull purple stripe on their side, as usual for stocked trout, except one. One had a bright pink stripe on its side and the skin over its gill flap was also bright pink. Also its last bottom fin was pink too, and its eye was brown rather than the others eyes, which were green. Even this ones mouth was proportionally bigger! My question is, do you all think this trout was native or something? Or if not why was it different? I know native brookies are rare there, so are native rainbows just as rare or more common? Any info would be appreciated. Thank You, and happy fishing! Very Happy

Posted Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:03 pm

the dull color doesn't normally mean stocked fish.

How deep is this part of the river?

most fish that hang out deep will be lighter than those that are shallow.

Posted Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:19 pm

I would estimate 7-10 feet deep. This one was the only different one. I did some research and think hes what they call a cutthroat and rainbow hybrid.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 am

no way rainbows are reproducing in that river. maybe some native or wild brookies in the upper stretches near the headwaters. i know that there are certainly many different strains of rainbows being used from state to state and there is certainly a noticeable difference in appearance in many cases but im not sure if the state of ma breeds different strains to stock. i would assume they only use the one strain but who knows. could it be possible the fish was a holdover and over time its color could have changed?? just some thoughts. good job on catching the fish though.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

It probably was a holdover. Although it is more likely one would survive the winter rather than the summer, it certainly still does happen. Thats probably it. Thanks for your help!

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links