Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of how much ice is on the ponds right now. I live in the Springfield area and dont care if I have to travel some. I've driven by a couple places and have seen ice BUT it doesnt look too thick around here. Ive heard of other people ice fishing but, of course, they never say where...like its a secret or something...lol. Anyways hoping to get out there soon! Its been like 7 yrs or more since I went due to living in Florida for a bit.

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 am

I drove by some spots in Winchester yesterday, and they were basically wide open. There was ice extending from the shaded shore line about 10 feet and that's it. Not looking good for awhile out this way, especially with temps in the 40s all next week.

Being near Springfield, you should check into a bait shop in the Berkshires, or maybe southern VT or eastern NY...

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 am

My friend is on 3" of solid black ice way out in the western part of the state as we speak. Just iced his first pike of the year too.

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 am

I live in central Ma.(gardner) and we are starting to get some good ice.I am going to NH this weekend to check on a small pond i fish with nice bass and yellow perch.If enuff ice then i will be fishing on sunday.
Will let you know how much ice.It gets real cold in the Orange and athol areas.Maybe check on lake mattawa in orange.Small and large mouth bass,pickerel,yellow perch,salmon,trout.

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 am

mcaron413

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of how much ice is on the ponds right now. I live in the Springfield area and dont care if I have to travel some. I've driven by a couple places and have seen ice BUT it doesnt look too thick around here. Ive heard of other people ice fishing but, of course, they never say where...like its a secret or something...lol. Anyways hoping to get out there soon! Its been like 7 yrs or more since I went due to living in Florida for a bit.

You're a lot closer to having ice than we are in the east I'm thinking.

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:56 am

Pretty sure we have slush right now and getting warmer

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links