0%  [ 0 ]
pike
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
salmon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

My friends girlfriend bought him a ice fishing trip for x-mas.
He invited me along. I guess we can pick the date and species we want to fish for.
What should we fish for?
I think i attached the link in case anybody is interested in this.

http://www.chartertheberkshires.com/berkshire_ice_fishing_guide_service

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 am

i vote for pike. go big, go bad, good luck jay.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am

I voted for trout because of the appx 200 fish I caught this year, I think 7 were trout. Now that I think of it, I don't think I caught any salmon. So go for trout or salmon. You can catch a mess of panfish, pickerel and pike by accident fishing for bass. You'll still probably catch them all fishing for salmonids. Have fun! "TIP UP!"

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 am

ICE FISHING,,,,let's see i don't see the option of putting my balls in a vice, hahaha

kidding , i'm with bass hunter Pike big ones all day

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 am

Sorry Johnny i missed that on the poles Haha

I found out my buddy received the pan fish trip.
This is cool because i think we will be eating them.
Sounds like a fun hassle free trip!
Never caught a trout yet,Gotta try someday!

I will post when we go.

I do agree with the pike guys too!
We rented a house on Champlain next month. It is the last house on the lake before Canada.
I have been to North Hero for the last 4 yrs but this will be a different location. Yes we will be hunting PIKE! Laughing

So hopefully I'll have 2-3 trips to post in a bit.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Jay, I guess I missed the poll, but I would say fish for something that you don't fish for normally!!

Big pike are hard to come by in this state, but big bass/salmon/trout are not that far out of the question...

Either way, take notes of the spots and take lots of pics Smile

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

should hav kept the poll going anyway. the panfish trip looks like a realy active day in that pic there has to be 40 pearch 12-15 crapy a trout and even a few nice bass.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 pm

paul who runs charter the berkshires is actually a friend of mine. he'll put you on the fish regardless of what you're going for.

he did a panfish trip at garfield yesterday and the group bagged about 40 fish in 4 hours. not too shabby. he did pike on monday @ woods and they caught i think a 3lber and a 8lber. not too bad.

i went out with him at woods first ice and we didn't catch any haha. was real scary though. super thin ice. the only other group crazy enough to go out that day caught a little pike.

he just got sponsored by vexilar and HT this year so he has a ton of cool gear he's been messing around with. HT has a line of tungsten jigs he's been testing out so he's been ok with the lead ban.

if you've never ice fished before i think the most important thing is to dress warmly in lots of layers. most people don't usually hang around outside for 4-8 hours in subfreezing temps and that can definitely make the day feel longer if you're not dressed properly. he'll have an ice shanty with a heater but that's for the girls : )

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 pm

I guess I'm a little late to add my 2 cents but I'll do it anyway lol. Jay, based on the photo's of your Big Pike catches from the past I would have to agree for fishing for a different species to add to your book of angling experiences.....so possibly Salmon as they can get BIG!!!!! I'm always fishing for bass because I love the attacks and the way they dominate the waters they live in but my goal is to be a better overall fisherman with Pike and Salmon on my radar. Either way, as long as you have good company and you're catching something, it is a great day and trip!!! I look forward to your posts and trips bud.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 pm

angler21

I guess I'm a little late to add my 2 cents but I'll do it anyway lol. Jay, based on the photo's of your Big Pike catches from the past I would have to agree for fishing for a different species to add to your book of angling experiences.....so possibly Salmon as they can get BIG!!!!! I'm always fishing for bass because I love the attacks and the way they dominate the waters they live in but my goal is to be a better overall fisherman with Pike and Salmon on my radar. Either way, as long as you have good company and you're catching something, it is a great day and trip!!! I look forward to your posts and trips bud.

keep in mind that the salmon fishing this year is particularly rough given the fallout from hurricane irene. i'd conservatively say over half the salmon stocked are already gone across the state.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm

thanks guys,
Well i did not mean to end poll by any means i actualy like polls. i'm gona start up one just cause it seemed cool to see what guys prefer.

I agree fish for something i usualy don't go for.
On my list of fish to catch thru the ice would be a lake trout! Something big! of coarse catch and release.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Good call! Those big lakers seem like a blast. I heard that the big ones can be almost 30 years old too! Catch and release seems to be the preference in most areas, unless they want you to keep certain sizes.

I'd love catching one on a short jig rod and light line!!

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links