Hi , I planning on getting a boat an trailer this summer , This will be my first time I ever had one and would like to ask does it need to people to get it into the water or can one person be able to do it?
Do I need a special license to drive it. I just want a boat to fish around lakes I don't need one that will take me across a lake in 60 second so I was thinking a deep V haul or a Jon Boat any Options would be helpful thanks.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am

One person can do it without much hassle but if you have not had a boat before or been around them, then you should go with someone who knows what they are doing the first 5-10 times. As far as being by yourself, if the water is warm enough (so you can wade out although a pair of waders in colder water works great), getting the boat in/out is easy enough and if you get a smaller boat (16ftish and aluminum), you can just back a trailer down to the water and simply winch the boat in.

As far as a boat license, you will not need one in MA. In NH you will. Last year it was only above 25 hp needed to; however, in NH this year, all boat drivers do.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:16 am

The boat selection can be crazy. What kind of water do you want to fish? If it will be like quabin type waters go with deep-v, if it will be on smaller bodies of water more of a flat bottom will work.
Do you want a steering wheel or tiller type steering?
What fish species do you like to fish for? Trout= trolling Bass= front electric motor. I personally like to mount all my electric motors in the front of the boat. The pulling effect works much better than pushing ,especially in wind.
You can probably get a decent used set-up fairly reasonable.
I usualy dont take waders with me but that is a good idea more often than not. One helpful idea is to use 2 ropes. One at the bow and one at the rear corner. This allows you to lead the boat very easy onto trailer. You can also drive the boat almost all the way on the trailer most times then step on trailer and winch boat on. This is another time when waders come into play. Stepping off trailer into water to get in vehicle. Jmo try not to power-load your boat it damages the ramp over time.
Good luck and if you research what type of boat fits your style of fishing you can make this process very easy and comfortable for one person to operate.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 am

One thing I would recommend is taking a night course on boating, my dad taught one for years at Assabet Valley for the Coast Guard Auxillary. Cost is low and it can be very helpful. It is amazing some of the stories he told me about guys with zero water experience and the large toys they had to own to keep up.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm

mprenko

One thing I would recommend is taking a night course on boating, my dad taught one for years at Assabet Valley for the Coast Guard Auxillary. Cost is low and it can be very helpful. It is amazing some of the stories he told me about guys with zero water experience and the large toys they had to own to keep up.

I took a 2 day coarse along these lines. i took it back when my father had a 28ft ocean boat. It was interesting to hear some of the stories.
I think the merrimac river actualy has the most accidents by far. I have owned my own boat since i was 13 and lived on a lake for most of my childhood.it was water skiing back then but alot of principles apply just the same.
My wife and i also took the mandatory boaters safety coaurse for N.H. She was pissed when she found out it was an 8 hr deal.haha
But honestly i think it should be mandatory for all boaters to be licensed in all states. Even if you don't plan on buying a larger boat and motor i think the 1 day coarse would be informative. I do think a day on the water with someone would help if you have any questions. There are a couple tricks with backing up and docking that would be good to learn 1st hand.
It's not that bad at all but it is also better to be safe and know the laws.

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey newbi,

Jwall 046 is right on. I took a united states power squadron safe boating course which also counts as the boating course in NH. It makes all the difference in piloting my crawdad,mainship trawler and sailboating. You can google usps.org i think and find a group near where you live. Courses start soon i think.

Good luck

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Muffinman is...............Muffinman?? Okay. He's right classes are starting soon middleton, mashpee, plymouth etc. go to the MA environmental police web site. I believe their classes are free and are 2hour classes over a 3 to 4 week period. The suck part is they are typically on a wednesday night.

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Newbi

Yes I am right!

You may also get a vesel safety check for your boat no matter the size and you get a sticker for the side which goes next to your registration. The EPO like to see them and it may make a difference.

There are also classes at your local vocational school sometimes and yes the innertube you are wearing makes you look FAT

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I sense hostility. I have a friend in the coastgaurd reserve thats all over the inspection for my new toy, but thats good info about the votech schools although depending on the school I stay away. By the way thats not an inner tube its me in muffinmans boat.

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links