Now that we have no local ice, I'm thinking about doing a smelt trip. I know there is a ton of different smelt camps in NH and ME. Does anyone have knowledge of which ones are the best, that could point me in the right direction? I've never gone smelting before and it sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks ahead of time for your replies.

P.S.
Dont be afraid to share a tip or two for a beginner either!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am

Don't know much about smelting in the area, but if you need some help eating them, I know a guy!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 pm

I know people will stay out overnight on Onota lake out in the berkshires and gun for smelt. I hear people are fishing it now but it's not particularly safe.

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:42 pm

still not sure if the rivers are frozen up there, i fish leightons in maine. it's usually hit or miss, i always catch 100+ or get nothing. i find that late night or real early morinig are the best times and i prefer to fish when you have the majority of hightide. the drop lines they give you are crap, i make my own rigs with 3 drop lines that have 5 hooks on the line. make sure you bring beer because if your not catching you need something to do.

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 am

Does anyone know if the Smelt camps in Me are open?

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:11 pm

eh ? what u doing with the smelt ?
- i saw them last year at a baitstore up there - just slim shiners ?

u use them as live bait or woot ?

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am

Fry 'em up and eat 'em!

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 pm

serious? - that good they so tiny - why not get a bucket of shiners and fry those Smile

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 pm

haha...hmmmmm Smile

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links