The Pond hasn't been stocked in about a month, meaning it's been fairly well fished. Sunday was a slow day but nice for a sunburn. Nothing biting for anyone that i could see.

But, just after I sent a 1/8 oz gold kastmaster out on a long cast (I know, weeds, I was trying something different), what did I see but two fat trout, around 14 inches each, come swimming by me not four feet from shore. I think they were thumbing their noses at me. These must be smart old guys left over from last year who knew not to bite on anything strange.

I reeled in quick, cast in front of their swimming direction but no hits so I left for home.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Went there Saturday night and a couple of guys caught 4 just after midnight on powerbait..don't know if they caught more as the bass weren't biting so I left

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 3:29 pm

I have been there at least a dozen times, been throwing every lure imaginable and only 1 largemouth (around a pound or so) to show for it. I caught it on March 31. It has been very slow there so far this year.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 3:29 pm

k_emmons

Went there Saturday night and a couple of guys caught 4 just after midnight on powerbait..don't know if they caught more as the bass weren't biting so I left

You're fishing Jamaica Pond after midnight? You're a braver man than I am. I used to live up the street from the Pond. You wouldn't catch me there at night without a large doberman mix (which my room mate of the time owned).

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Yea it is actually rather peaceful at night. Police circle regularly..never had any problem... Bass seem to be tricky..I have only got them to bite just at dawn or dusk. Half hour window.. but I did have some success last year throwing a popper at midnight during a full moon.. went back sunday night with a trout rig with corn but no bites same spot nearest to the docks

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 4:12 pm

It's peaceful because most people in the area won't go there at night! Sticking to the dock area is the safest bet. Me, I'll be at home with my guard cats.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I guess..I'm also 6'6 270 so I would assume that helps . there's not too many people other then some bikers and joggers people walking their dog. every once in awhile does the homeless person

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 4:27 pm

I live in JP for nine years (1988 - 1997) and never considered the pond dangerous. It's only gotten more gentrified since I lived there. If I were a solo female jogger at 5AM it might be a different story. But who's gonna mug a fishing schlub. Everybody knows we have no money Smile

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Fished JP pond at night and never had a problem. Gets fished out quick. Not bad for a lazy day with a float.

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 7:36 am

Quite a change since when I lived there back, oh, say 30 years or so? Guess I have to catch up with changing times. I've been living south of Boston for some time and only just getting back into the JP fishing scene again.

I'll leave my guard cat at home.

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Know they dredge a few bodys from there in the pass Rolling Eyes

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 12:51 pm

grizz

Many people have drowned in Jamaica over the years. That has nothing to do with fisherman safety, unless you go for a swim.

The pond is much safer than walking home from the Stony Brook T station, where people are regularly mugged. Those houses overlooking the pond, and on the side streets like Eliot and Burroughs are worth a million dollars. It's not exactly a bad neighborhood.

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 12:49 pm

markb

grizz

Many people have drowned in Jamaica over the years. That has nothing to do with fisherman safety, unless you go for a swim.

The pond is much safer than walking home from the Stony Brook T station, where people are regularly mugged. Those houses overlooking the pond, and on the side streets like Eliot and Burroughs are worth a million dollars. It's not exactly a bad neighborhood.

LOL those price tags sadly just mean that the occupants can't be bothered to care what goes on outside! Wink

Be that as it may..I have no fear when fishing at night, anywhere. There are always going to be idiots in this world that want to f*** up anything they can...I refuse to live my life differently because someone may try and mess with me. I'll cross those bridges when they come..I've had guns drawn on me, been in fights and more out in the real world...but I am still fishing and will till I can't no longer!

Posted Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links