Hey everyone! I just moved to Boston and within a week I have a nice saltwater rod and hit deer island looking for anything. I was hoping to get some pointers on best places to go for early morning and late nights?

I am limited to shore fishing, and typically anywhere close to a T or Bus stop as I dont have a car and live in Savin Hill of Dorchester. But if anyone wants a companion for some late night runs, Im all for it!

Posted Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:38 pm

you can fish off the pier at castle island

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:44 am

Is that the one by UMASS-Boston (Fallon Pier, I believe) or is it actually off of Castle Island?

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am

its right off on the back side on castle island or you can walk out to the sugar bowl to the right of castle island heard they have been pulling in some decent stuff there

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 am

@texaninboston-where in Texas are you from? I lived in Dallas for 3.5 years.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Im from San Antonio, went to school at Texas A&M. I've been to Dallas a few times, as well as most other parts of the state.

And ok sweet, I may go try that out this coming weekend!

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 am

Actually, is there anywhere that would be good for fishing in the evenings (like after Cool?

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm

The sugar bowl near Castle Island can be excellent at night depending on the tides. There are 2 inlets/outlets that water flows in and out of depending on if the tide is coming in or going out. Stripers use the current to feed and night time can be a good time to get into them. You can also "chunk" (throw out chunk pogie or mack. and catch stripers and bluefish right around the sugar bowl and the castle island pier. The one behind Umass can be productive as well as the summer street bridge and the Charlestown bridge

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Awesome thanks! I would guess I throw on the outer edge of where the water is moving towards? I have just been using mackrel with a 3 oz weight..that sufficient?

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 pm

At the sugar bowl I throw small swimming plugs and bucktails in the curent at a 45* angle and just jerk and pop without reeling in any line until the lure is stright out infront of you again. The chunk mack is better suited for the castle island pier, the sugar bowl itself and the other places I mentioned

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 am

I wouldnt mind going out with anyone if someone on here loves to fish, but doesnt have a regular friend to go with! Message me if interested!

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links