I just bought a 16’ center console whaler, small I know but a great first boat. I have been surfcasting for about 10 years but this is now a whole new ballgame. I am looking forward to bait casting/trolling/jigging, you name it.

I’m looking for any and all advice as to what I need (i.e. rod/reel types/strength, downrigger, umbrella rigs, size/color/type plugs?) as well as info on patterns (i.e. tides, temperatures, telltale signs, geographic/specific spots and locations).

I bought the boat to go out for Stripers, Blues, Fluke and Flounder but wouldn’t be opposed to making a day out of Cod and Haddock – How far offshore need I be? I know of a couple “honey holes” but realistically how far offshore do I need to be to get a bite?

Also, (more specific questions! Sorry!) How do I find Mackerel/Pogies/Shad? I have plenty of Sebiki rigs and jigs, is it all dependent on following the birds or are there certain spots/patterns to be aware of?

I am from MA North Shore and will be mooring my boat in the Plum Island basin.

Any advice helps,

Thanks!!!

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Good luck went out with a kid on myfishfinder sundaycaugjt my first striper we went to the mouth of the merri
Ack and fished the channel weather was bad but makes me want to buy another boat just for ocean.

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Back in my younger days I'd take my 14ft v-hull out in the bays and rivers. I'd fish all night long. I would catch pogies first by snagging them and then live line'em. Go out and shut your motor off and listen.....you'll hear where the fish are at. Go Fish

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links