Im going up to Maine at the end of this month and looking for some Lake Trout and landlock salmon. I know the lake Im fishing has them but I dont know what structure they like or lures. Im going to try trolling and jigging. I got some stuff from Thunder Mist Lures. I was just wondering what structure to look for and different lures.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Both species will be relatively deep now. Do you have downriggers or a lead line outfit? If not, I would just try fishing deep with shiners. Salmon like a smaller shiner and will usually be suspended. I would try drifting with a small weight and experiment with different depths. I have always had good luck around the 30 foot level. Lakers usually relate to the bottom and you may want to anchor and fish deeper water right on the bottom. I fished East Grand Lake a while back and did really well on salmon drifting small shiners. If I remember correctly it was in July. Good luck.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 am

Thank you, what I had in mind was using a t-turn swivle and having like a 18 inch lead off that connected to a weigth, and a 4-5 foot lead off the other side to a trolling spoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWFP2Z3ZXc
Thats where I got that idea from. Do you think it will work. I dont have a down rigger. But i will try the shiner technique for some salmon.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:26 am

I'm sure it would work but you may run into a lot of snags, especially if you are fishing in a lake such as Sebago which has a very rocky and irregular bottom. It's worth a shot though. A lot of the fun in fishing involves experimenting with different techniques. I would definitely try jigging for Lakers as I 've heard it can be very productive. I personally haven't tried it but my brother has caught a couple nice trout jigging. Hopefully, you have a decent fish finder so you can key in on some structure.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 pm

What structure should I look for?

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Drop-offs, humps, any bottom irregularities that fish may relate to. Then again, they could be on a flat bottom, who knows why fish do what they do! One of the best days I ever had for Lakers at Quabbin was over a non-descript piece of water with a flat bottom. We caught a fish and I marked the area with a GPS and every time we trolled over that area we had hits and caught fish, sometimes two or three. I'm guessing there was a school of smelt in the area but they never showed on the fish finder so I don't really know.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Where do you do most of your salmon/Lake Trout fishing around Massachusetts.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Quabbin Reservoir, South Pond, primarily but I also fish other places on occasion. My favorite (for sentimental reasons) is Long Pond in Plymouth. It was my fathers' favorite.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Nice! Thanks for all the info, im just trying to get into laker and salmon fishing. Always have done bass but gotta change it up every once in a while. Im going to try Long Pond I heard it can produce some good fish. What type of boat do you use to fish, Im trying to find a skiff to buy for fishing just like trolling around and stuff.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 pm

18 1/2 ft. Lund. with 2 downriggers, planer boards. Also have a 16 ft Discovery that I use on smaller waters

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Nice, do you think I could pick up a nice all round fishing boat for around $1000

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 pm

i have been looking for a decent aluminum flat bottom jon boat.. there definitely a lot in the market right now...just hunt on craigslist as much as possible.. lots of good stuff ... and it goes quick..i decided I'm probably going to invest in something new in the winter .. when boats may be a little cheaper...

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links