I have to double check my info but I have been told by workers of the state park in Uxbridge ma on the Blackstone canal, that they are holding a Carp derby/tournament on either sept. 8th (sat) or 9th (sunday).

[url]
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/blst.htm [/url]

That is the main website for the park..no info there on the derby but will post when I double check..heading down this evening will see if any are there to talk about it.

They said it's a laid back thing they do, they will wiegh all fish etc, guess there is something for youngest fisher to catch , something for all who catch, oldest, heaviest fish etc. Like I said not serious comp. just a "for fun and social" thing.

Anyway will post again when I get more/solid info on the event.

---EDIT:

Ok got comfirmation it is indeed Sunday Sept. 9th

They said it will be starting no later then 10 am, however if your like me I'll be there early in order to set up and such where I'm comfortable Smile

It is a laid back thing. Meant to be a social event..you know learn some things, teach some things, bs a bit, and catch some nice carp (hopefully)

Don't expect to show up and win cash..dun think it is that kind of event. Not sure what all they are doing, and to my knowledge there is no charge..may even be some sort of festivities outside of fishing like a cook-out/music or something. More info can be gathered by contacting them or stopping by the visitors center I linked above.

In case you wanna show up but are clueless bout the area fishing...

A few baits that will get you started and such. I know a lot of people use whole kernal corn, and have info that some of the rangers there may be chumming a bit of corn before the event to help catch rates and draw carp in.

White bread without the crust rolled into a ball works well too. I tend to use these plus a variety dough baits and boilies.

I usually use a split shot and a small hook. I have a good leader from the weight to the hook, maybe 10-15 inches. You can free line and let the carp take line out then slowly tighten drag and bring it in, or keep a tight line and hold on as the carp tries to drag your rod off the shore Wink. It isn't complicated fishing but as all things takes a small amount of know-how.

one of my favorite recipes that I listed in another thread I'll list again:

Simple river boilie (best used on a hair rig)

2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup corn meal
1/8-1/4 cup cheap flake fish food (optional)
a bit of cornstarch
--Mix these together in a medium bowl

In another bowl mix together;

1 egg
1-2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1-4 tbsp jam (I use strawberry..any berry is usually good though)
1/4 cup milk

now add the dry mix slowly to the wet mix. Mix thoroughly till dough starts forming. May need to add a bit more flour or poss milk if too wet/dry. Once you have a good fiarly smooth dough knead it out and/or roll it a bit. Form small balls from it, I like about a grape size or smaller.

Now boil the small balls for 1-2 minutes to make them a bit sturdier...cool and store till rdy to fish. Hope they catch ya some big ones.

In all honesty though Carp eat alot..they have a sweet tooth and are attracted to all sorts of things like hot dogs, corn, berries, cereal mashed up and made into dough with a bit of water etc. The combos and ideas are endless. Look around the internet a bit and you can find tons of ideas.

Hope to see some of you there and good luck fishing

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 pm

sounds cool. i'll be there definately.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Great Tim, looking to be a good derby, had a bunch of hook-ups fishing that area today, and there are tons more carp swimming around.

Will add if you plan to fish it...I wouldn't use under 10-12 lb test line. Had some in the 3 lb range today but also hooked up to a close to 15 pounder and another that snapped my 15 lb test. SO wide range of weight there be ready Smile

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:51 pm

i had got stuck working that day. how was the turn out? lot of people?

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links