Hi my name is Eddie and I have just immigrated from the UK to Massachusetts. I've been fly fishing for more years than I care to remember. In the U.K. I mainly fished for trout on rivers and Lochs.
Looking forward to having a go at Bass on the fly.
My fishing gear does not arrive to mid September, so a bit stuck till then. Currently living in Bridgewater and would be interested in trout fishing around that area. Also willing to travel to find the right spots.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 pm

If you are willing to travel, check out the fly fishing only section of the Swift River off Route 9 in Belchertown. It is loaded with trout but can be very crowded, especially on weekends. There is also great trout fishing below route 9 but not much in the way of shore access. The water is always cold because it is drawn from Quabbin at the 70 foot level ( I have heard) so the fishing can be good all year long. Welcome to the U.S.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I have no issue traveling to fish and have heard some good things about the Swift. Do you know if it is stocked in the fall?

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Don't know. The hatchery is right on the river though. I take a boat on the lower portion of the river and see tons of trout all year long.

If you want stocking information for mass. Go onto the website for Mass. fish & wildlife. They list their stocking info on there and have pond maps as well.

One note, if you go there on a weekend be prepared to deal with LOTS of kayaks and canoes. Unless you go early or late you have a hard time fishing effectively because of the crowds in the lower part of the river.

They are not allowed on the upper part of the river but there you have to deal with lots of fly fishermen & women. I highly recommend a trip during a weekday for a better experience.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks for the additional information. Looks like it's a week day trip Very Happy

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links