I am looking to buy my first boat over the winter and have it ready for fishing and fun next summer. I can't buy some fancy boat that goes 100mph. I am looking to buy something like an aluminum boat that can have a 20+hp motor mounted on the back or a trolling motor. I grew up fishing from aluminum boats so that is something that immediately appeals to me. I am looking for boat length suggestions that could accomodate myself, the wife and maybe 2 others. Also, I do not own a truck or suv so whatever I get must be able to be pulled by a Toyota Matrix! Thanks

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am

You're asking for an awful lot... For four people to fit comfortably I wouldn't go smaller than 14'. 14' should be able to be pulled by just about anything. Also, a trolling motor (used as primary propulsion) is lightyears away from a 20hp gas motor. A 40# motor is good for 1/4 to 1/2 hp. My 14' jon can is only rated for a 9.9hp motor. All that being said, this isn't a bad choice:
2013 TRACKERĀ® Topper 1436 Riveted Jon
Small enough to tow, cheap enough to buy, light enough to power with a trolling motor and can handle up to 15hp. I hope this helps.

Edit: The Toyota Matrix is rated to tow up to 1500 pounds, so you should be ok with just about any small aluminum boat/trailer combo.

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

your best bet is to follow craigslist for a while to get an overview whats on the market and a price idea

but beware lot of scammers and trash there but the best bet to learn the ropes

4 peeps 14 ft up

boat like that will hold 20 hp easy

trailer will be ok for your toyota up to 16 ft
iu pull my 14ft with vw golf

but you need to get involved yourself - read follow observe
so you know what you want know the fair price and can evaluate an offer

i stared with a small trunk size alu boat to learn the ropes then graduated and now im thinking about going ocean size

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I was thinking around 14' would be good. I have also been following the listings on craigslist ato see whats a fair price. I only said 20hp because I know that is the max hp before needing a boating license. Glad to hear that the Toyota will be able to tow most aluminum boats in that size range. Now I need to get a hitch installed!

Posted Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm

My first boat was a 14' modified Jon boat with an 8hp and I towed that thing all over new England and all the way to Florida with a Nissan Maxima. I wouldn't put 4 people in a boat that small though. Best advice I can give is to get as big as you can afford and tow safely. Good luck.

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:05 am

btownbub

I was thinking around 14' would be good. I have also been following the listings on craigslist ato see whats a fair price. I only said 20hp because I know that is the max hp before needing a boating license. Glad to hear that the Toyota will be able to tow most aluminum boats in that size range. Now I need to get a hitch installed!

You need a " boating license" for more than a 20HP???????

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 pm

to meet the requests you have heres what you want

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3517

same boat I own except mine is modified, (see my photos if you want an idea of what I did, or see Kevin from Bigmouths or Damon from Beaver Fever's Photos we all have different mods)

anyway you can fit 4 comfortable (up to 750 lbs) accomodates a MAXIMUM of 25hp outboard, has a built in livewell to keep your catch or shiners alive.

Only weighs 190 dry, transports on a small trailer easily, very stable, never had a problme, and with a 20hp on it should move real nice

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links