First time ever having a outboard engine, it's a Mercury 4hp, brand new this season. Is it worth it to find someone to "winterize" it or can someone give me a link/little steps to do it myself? I also have the option of leaving it inside my heated house too, don't know if that helps do anything. Thanks.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't know any links?

it's real easy.

1. Get lower unit oil and hand pump.
2. Drain lower unit oil (small flat head screw bottom on side above skeg) Note: remove screw at top. This allows oil to flow and not vacuum.
3. Grab lower unit oil and screw pump into lower screw and fill until comes out top.
4. insert screws
5. Start engine (use ear muffs)
6. spray sea foam into carb until chokes out
7. remove spark plugs and spray small amount into cylinder (optional)
8. Fill gas tank and use sea foam for stabilizer

Note: changing oil in lower unit basically is a safety in case you have water leak. You can leave empty but not recommended in-case you forget to fill.
Hope this helps

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 pm

jwall046

I don't know any links?

it's real easy.

1. Get lower unit oil and hand pump.
2. Drain lower unit oil (small flat head screw bottom on side above skeg) Note: remove screw at top. This allows oil to flow and not vacuum.
3. Grab lower unit oil and screw pump into lower screw and fill until comes out top.
4. insert screws
5. Start engine (use ear muffs)
6. spray sea foam into carb until chokes out
7. remove spark plugs and spray small amount into cylinder (optional)
8. Fill gas tank and use sea foam for stabilizer

Note: changing oil in lower unit basically is a safety in case you have water leak. You can leave empty but not recommended in-case you forget to fill.
Hope this helps

A few comments: I suggest fogging oil or engine oil in the cylinder, and drain the gas if you can. Don't fill it as ethanol absorbs water and the longer it is sitting there, the more the octane degrades. I would also disconnect/turn off the fuel while running and run it dry to prevent gum up in the carb. Also, no reason to run it after you change the oil. Run it first so the oil warms up and drains better.

Never leave it without oil in the l/u. If there is any water or moisture in there, there will be surface rust on the internals.

Also, here is Mercury's own storage procedure for your motor: http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/storage-4to6FS.pdf

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Also,
Sea foam is the best product i have used.
They sell it in spray and liquid for engine. If you have it in tank before fogging and for with sea foam you will not get any moisture.
I use one can in each tank on my boat, snowmobile,ice auger,tractor,4 wheelers. Anything you might not use for a couple months or longer. This stuff is awesome. I have never had any issues since using sea foam. items start season after season like they never sat.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm

I guess this question/statement may have voided all this. Seeing as it weighs all of like 45 lbs, I am just going to bring it inside in the basement where it won't ever get below 55°F. Do I need to even winterize it at that point?

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm

zack137z

I guess this question/statement may have voided all this. Seeing as it weighs all of like 45 lbs, I am just going to bring it inside in the basement where it won't ever get below 55°F. Do I need to even winterize it at that point?

If you are sure that it won't get that low, then you can not do the oil in the lower unit(should before spring anyways so just do it).

Still do the rest though.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm

blackgts2002

zack137z

If you are sure that it won't get that low, then you can not do the oil in the lower unit(should before spring anyways so just do it).

Exactly

Winterization basically preps motor when not being used for few months. The stabilizer process should be done on any engine that you don't use often. It's all opinions bud. I have had great results doing this with all my engines. I use a little sea foam in every tank of gas that i wont use in 30 days or more.

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:31 am

jwall046

blackgts2002

zack137z

Exactly

Winterization basically preps motor when not being used for few months. The stabilizer process should be done on any engine that you don't use often. It's all opinions bud. I have had great results doing this with all my engines. I use a little sea foam in every tank of gas that i wont use in 30 days or more.

The worst thing you can do is nothing at all. Cleaning gummed up carbs is not fun, especially when you could have avoided it with 5 mins of work.

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 am

blackgts2002

jwall046

blackgts2002

zack137z

Exactly

The worst thing you can do is nothing at all. Cleaning gummed up carbs is not fun, especially when you could have avoided it with 5 mins of work.

Solid advice here. Letting an engine sit, even indoors for months is not good. If you are not going to winterize you are better off running the motor in a barrel a couple times a month for 15-20 mins each time but pull the gas line and let it run dry each time.

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links